Chapter 5: A New Life

And finally, we get into Team FRSB's new life in Beacon.

Things are beginning to get going. Ruby's sickness is beginning to resurface as Salem tries relentlessly to take her body. How long can Ruby fight? How long will it be before she inevitably snaps under the lullaby of darkness?

Y/N is growing more and more worried about his sister's well-being. She's already getting on the wrong side of people. But with his new teammates at his side, he feels comforted that there are people who would be willing to help him.

But there's another problem - after the attack at the initiation, Ozpin has grown suspicious. Ozpin getting involved would mean Salem needs to be careful with Ruby.

What good could come from Ruby's cruel fate as the host of all things wrong with the world?

Nothing good will come of it, surely.

...

When Y/N woke up the day after the initiation, he was well rested. He sat up in his bed, stretching his arms. Verde was painting at her desk quietly, and Sasha was in the kitchen area cooking something. Y/N swung his legs over the edge of his bed, enjoying the silence. For once, Vao was being... Quiet.

Y/N's eyes widened in horror. Slowly his head turned, only to find his older brother's bed empty and desolate. He looked around the room frantically, but there was no sign of Vao.

"H-hey, Verde..." Y/N stammered.

"What is it?" The team leader asked, not looking up from her work. Y/N gulped, visibly sweating. He was beginning to grow fearful. "Where's Vao...?"

Verde pointed at the door. "He left a little while ago. He went to explore, I think."

Y/N relaxed a bit. There was nothing wrong with Vao just walking around. As long as he wasn't late.

"Oh, he also said he was going to be late for class. He might be out drinking."

"First thing in the morning..." Y/N muttered. Vao never changed. He stood up, stretching his back and moving to the bathroom to do his daily routine. As he was brushing his teeth, he called Vao. If he was heading to Vale, Y/N wanted him to pick up some food. The scroll rang for a while before someone picked up.

{Yeah?}

"Vao, it's Y/N. Can you pick up some groceries while you're out? And at least try to be on time."

{Okay. After I see my old buddy Junior. It's been a while; last time we saw each other was when my mom took me to his place on my birthday.}

At least Vao was being reasonable. Y/N spat out a mouthful of toothpaste. "Thanks. Stay safe."

{That Jaune kid wanted to hang out with me for some reason, so I'll be driving us back to school. Tell his team where he's at. Bye.}

"Wait, Vao don't get in the car!" Y/N shrieked. But it was too late; Vao had already hung up. The katana wielder sighed sadly. He really didn't want to clean up Vao's mess today. He stepped out of the bathroom, glancing at the clock. They had about half an hour before classes. Sasha stepped out of the kitchen, a plate of eggs in her hands. She had to bend down to fit through the door way - again, Y/N felt very short compared to her. He could hardly imagine how Verde felt.

"I'm going over to see RWBY. I'll catch you guys in class," Y/N said. Sasha threw up a peace sign while Verde ignored him completely, entranced by her painting.

The hallways were bustling when Y/N stepped into the corridor. Students mingling and talking, the ruckus of dozens of voices mixed together reaching his ears. He walked down the hall, knocking on the wooden door.