Chapter 27: Nightmares

Disclaimer: Music not mine, piano cover belongs to it's original owner.

It's time for Vao's death.

...

Weiss pushed through the smoke, tears flowing from their ducts. She didn't want to believe what she had just seen. She didn't want to believe any of it. She prayed she'd wake up in her bed. That when she left her room, they'd be waiting. But as she drew closer, she could see Y/N. He was frozen in place, staring at his brother in heart-breaking horror.

Vao's entire left side had been blown to pieces. His face was hardly recognizable under the burns, the scars, and his own boiling blood. His once lush, black hair, burnt to a crisp. Half of his face missing, exposing the cracked and destroyed skull underneath. But he was alive. Barely, but alive.

"V... V-VAO!" Y/N screamed. He ran to his brother's side, gently lifting him into his lap. "V-Vao, say something!"

His one eye looked up to his younger brother, filled with grief and pain. And shakily, he lifted his one remaining arm up to him.

"Y-Y/N... I-it... H-hurts..." He whispered hoarsely. Y/N held his brother in his arms, unable to hold back his tears. "Y-you're going to be okay, Vao! We're going to get you help!" He shouted. His voice betrayed his desperation. He turned a glare at Weiss, a snarl forming on his lips. "Call Raven! Call Verde! Call anyone!" He demanded. Weiss fumbled for her scroll, slamming her finger in the first icon she saw. It rang once, and Yang picked up.

["W-Weiss!? What's going on!? We heard an explosion!"]

"It's Vao!" Weiss shrieked. "Vao's hurt!"

Yang hung up immediately. Weiss dropped her device, running to Vao's side, a broken cry escaping her lips. Now she could see just how badly he was injured. His left side wasn't just destroyed; it was gone. There was no trace of his left arm, the stump of his leg, or even his chest. It was all gone, his organs spilling into Y/N's lap. It was a miracle he could even speak. He let out a half-hearted sob, clutching Y/N's chest weakly.

"Y-Y/N... A-am I g-going to die...?"

He gritted his teeth, turning his snarl towards Vao. "Sh-shut up... Shut the fuck up! Don't ever say that, Vao! We... We're going to get you to Beacon! A-and you'll get more prosthetics! R-robot parts! That sounds cool, doesn't it Vao?"

But Vao didn't laugh. He just stared up at them, his eye watering. His best friends. His best friends, who had always been there with him. And now he wouldn't see them again. Vao wasn't the brightest, but he wasn't entirely stupid, either. He knew he had made a mistake coming here. A mistake, just like most of his life. With the last of his strength, he pulled himself up towards Y/N, draping his arm over his shoulder. It was barely a hug. But the warmth was still there. Vao could feel a lump growing in his throat.

"I... I really was useless, wasn't I?"

Y/N held Vao gently, a whimper escaping. "No... You never were..."

"D-don't... Lie to me, bruv..." Vao whispered softly. "I... Sh-should have l-listened... More often..."

"You were perfect the way you were," Weiss growled. "You were... You were funny... Even if you don't think so, you were an amazing f-friend... So hang on, Vao... J-just for a little longer..."

Vao shook his head quietly, whimpering when the pain shot through his skull. "No... I f-failed... A-as an older b-brother... As a boyfriend... I c-couldn't even protect myself... I dragged everyone into my messes... I b-bullied my friends... I... I really am a g-good for nothing d-drunk..." He answered. His voice was getting quieter, and he looked like he was having a hard time keeping his eye open. "... B-but I had... Fun... E-even if I'm a failure, I had... A l-lot of fun..."