Chapter 3: Beacon

Hello again, my beautiful readers. We're back at it with another chapter.

In the previous chapter, Salem, reduced to a parasite after the events of the first book, is planning to use Ruby to exact her revenge. Ruby is now struggling alone, with no one who will believe her. What will become of her in the future?

Y/N, Vao, Yang, and Cardin are going to Beacon. Ruby, by some string of luck, is going too. But she's worried. Salem still resides within her, and she's helpless to free herself from the shackles the eldritch nightmare has placed on her wrists and ankles. She's afraid she's going to lose control. All it takes is one moment of negative emotions.

And what of Y/N and Vao? In the first book, they had magic to stand a chance against the immortal creature. But now, without hardships in their lives, they have little to no chance of unlocking their Light and Dark.

Prepare, dear readers... Because things could only get worse from here.

Enjoy the chapter!

...

Y/N kicked open Vao's suitcase again, all of his liquor bottles rolling across the kitchen floor. His face went bright red, his fists clenching so tightly his knuckles turned white. "Vao Branwen! I told you to pack things that were necessary!" He screamed.

Vao, who had been staring at his feet guiltily, pointed at the clothes he had packed as well. "B-but I brought a spare change of clothes..." He muttered half-heartedly.

"A shirt! One freaking shirt, Vao! What are you going to do, run around without pants!?"

Yang snapped her fingers, a dumb grin crossing her face. "He can borrow some of my skirts! Maybe even a dress! With his girly look, he could actually pull it off!" She suggested cheerily. Cardin looked down at the table from where he was sitting.

"Seeing Vao in a dress makes me question my sexuality..." He muttered. "He doesn't look like a dude at all..."

Vao seemed proud of that fact, puffing out his chest dramatically. "That's right, I'm a femboy! I'll proudly wear a dress!"

"Have you no shame, no dignity!?" Y/N wailed. His older brother was hopeless. He sighed, opening his own suitcase and showing it to Vao.

"Look; three pairs of jeans, three shirts. Shower supplies, toothbrush, toothpaste, and my weapon. Vital things I need. Did you forget your weapon, too?"

Vao shook his head. "It's on my hip, where it always is. See?" He lifted the hem of his shirt, revealing the massive axe folded into its carrying form. But Y/N was eyeing the scratch made into the side. It looked liked Vao made a bunch of squiggly lines.

"What's that?" He asked. Vao grinned, pride once again on his face.

"I scratched my name into it! I think I'm getting better at spelling!"

No one had the heart to kick Vao down, not when it came to this. His handwriting was unreadable, and it was definitely not how you would write his name. But hey, at least he tried. Y/N flashed him a weak smile. "That... That's great, Vao... Proud of you..."

Vao cheered, beaming brighter than the sun. Now Y/N really couldn't tell Vao he should never try to write again. He closed his suitcase and sat down. They didn't have any more time to pack. Vao would have to go to Beacon with a complete bar in his luggage.

They all looked up when they heard the thumping sound of Ruby's luggage bouncing down the stairs as she pulled it behind her. She didn't even bother lifting the suitcase; she was slouched, her back arched until it looked almost painful to carry her luggage. Y/N gave her a gentle smile. "Morning, Ruby!" He greeted cheerfully.