Chapter 30: Escape

His prosthetic clicked as he adjusted it, extending and closing his fingers. Little by little, Y/N was growing used to it. It didn't make him feel very happy. But at the very least, he would have two arms again. He heaved a sigh, letting the limb fall back down on his knee. He squeezed gently, feeling the pressure on his knee. With the artificial nerves built inside, he could almost feel his leg. But almost wasn't completely.

"Dinner's ready!"

He didn't look at the door when his mother called. Zwei shuffled closer, digging his head under Y/N's biological arm. It seemed he wanted to cuddle. He scratched the corgi behind the ears. But he knew Summer would check on him if he didn't answer. Standing up, he pulled open the door just in time to see his mother making her way up the stairs. When she saw him, she smiled happily.

"There you are! Don't make me worry like that, okay?"

Y/N mumbled a half-hearted response. He wasn't very happy to see her. Summer flashed him another smile before leading him down the stairs where his father was already waiting at the dining table. Y/N sat down as Summer slid his plate in front of him, taking her seat cheerfully. "It's so good to have you back, you know. How long has it been since we last ate like this? Almost a year?"

Y/N didn't answer immediately, half-heartedly picking at his food. "... Just about..." He finally muttered. Summer frowned.

"Is something the matter, Y/N?"

"It's nothing. I'm fine," he replied quietly. "Just... Not very hungry."

Summer seemed upset. "But it's your favorite. Come on, you can tell us!"

"I'm... Fine, Mom. Just leave me be," Y/N whispered. He had enough. Picking up his plate, he carried it back up the stairs, slamming his door shut. Summer sighed, looking at her glaring husband. "... What do you want, Tai?"

Tai mumbled something under his breath before answering. "Do you know how fucked up it is to just... Trash his dream like that?" He asked.

"I'm doing it to protect him," Summer growled.

"You just made him an easier target," Tai snapped back. "Look... If we keep him here, he'll just leave on his own. "

Summer shook her head. "No, he won't. Y/N's always listened to me. We're like, best friends!"

"Probably not anymore," Tai muttered. Summer shot him a deadly glare.

"... Excuse me?"

Tai sighed deeply, holding his ground this time. "He's angry. Y/N's never really been vocal when he was upset with us, but I've seen that look in his eye. It was usually given to Vao when he did something stupid, like the one time he set the Beacon Gardens on fire by mistake. He's giving that same glare to you."

Summer chuckled. "He'll just have to get used to it. One day, he'll thank us. For keeping him out of danger."

Tai growled lowly. His wife was in denial. He set his plate on the floor, letting Zwei have a go before grabbing a beer from the fridge. Summer looked at him curiously. "... Where are you going?"

"Outside. I... Need some fresh air, and time to myself," Tai hissed. Summer stared at him as he left the house, standing on the porch, feeling the night air brush past his face. His grip tightened on the bottle as he twisted the cap off and took a sip.

His wife was beginning to let things get to her head, and he didn't know how he could stop it. He had never seen her freak out like she did a few days ago, at the hospital parking lot. He was beginning to grow fearful. Y/N would eventually leave, given his silent anger. And now that he didn't have contact with his friends, it was likely he'd do it alone, which would only set his death in stone. He glanced through the trees, where he could see the Branwen house in the distance. He could just make out Raven through one of the windows, packing the rest of Vao's belongings. Oobleck was at her side, wiping at his eyes as he helped her.