Chapter 42: The Training, Part One

Disclaimer! Song is not mine. Rights belong to Disney (please don't sue me), and the song is from Mulan, which I have never seen.

Also, since I've based Atlas off of Germany (shown through Verde's use of German language and Weiss understanding it), Ironwood will be wearing a flecktarn, which is German military camoflauge for those who don't know.

Training arc time.

...

"Wake up."

Y/N rolled over, groaning tiredly. Weiss frowned, shaking him again. "Wake up, Y/N! We have to board the bullhead!"

"Mm..." Y/N lifted his head, letting it fall back down. "... What time is it?"

"Two in the morning."

Y/N sighed, climbing out of his sleeping bag. He picked up his belongings, throwing the backpack over his shoulder before looking at Weiss. "... Ready..."

The heiress smiled, stepping outside to meet with the others. When Y/N stepped into view, Yang rolled her eyes. "Oh, great... Took you long enough," she groaned.

Y/N looked among his friends, his brow furrowing with worry. "... Where's Sasha?"

"I... Think she left early," Blake replied. "I saw her leave the room thirty minutes before midnight."

Y/N decided that wasn't too strange. Sasha always liked being early. He followed the others outside and into the courtyard, giving one final look at his school.

Beacon Academy. He never realized how much he fell in love with this place. All the adventures he had, the amazing people he had met. The daily chaotic shenanigans, boring classes... Something he'd never experience again. He was leaving Beacon for good. After a talk with Ozpin, the headmaster had decided it would not be necessary for him to return after killing Salem.

That didn't stop this bittersweet feeling. Beacon was still nostalgic for him. Even if his teammates were dead, he still wished he could have finished school. Perhaps when he received his Hunter's license after this, he could become a teacher. He sighed, adjusting the straps on his backpack.

"... Goodbye, Beacon," he whispered softly. Cardin looked at him curiously.

"Did you say something?"

Y/N hesitated, but soon shook his head. "... Nah. Let's just go."

As they walked towards the bullhead, Y/N felt relief. His horrible nightmare was nearly over. It had cost the lives of three people he held very dear to him, but he knew it was nothing compared to the First Timeline. For that, he felt relief. It was almost over.

The trip took hours. For most of those long hours, Y/N slept. He didn't dream; no nightmares, just empty blank space. It was while he slumbered that Weiss was awoken and pulled to the side by Blake.

"What is it?" The heiress asked quietly. Blake gestured to the sleeping blonde, arching an eyebrow.

"What's going on with Y/N? He changed for the better. He even started talking to Russell."

Weiss didn't have an answer for that. She just shrugged her shoulders. "... I... Don't know... I'm just happy he's acting like his old self again."

Blake nodded thoughtfully, stroking her chin. "... How do you feel about this? Once this training is done, we'll be going to the castle... We'll confront the King, and Salem."

Weiss tilted her head. "How do you mean?"

Blake sighed. "We've been in this fight for almost three years, Weiss. And it's almost over. Soon, we'll be knocking on Salem's door for a final confrontation..." She looked down at her hands, her brow furrowing in worry. "... It knows that. I'm starting to worry it'll do something drastic. Remember what Verde said about the First Timeline? That it launched a global war?"