Chapter 22: Insanity

"BANG! You're dead!"

Y/N woke up with a start, sitting upright in his seat. Tyrian had shot him with a finger gun. Next to him, Sasha was snickering. Out of his whole team, Verde was the only one not present, having called in sick. According to Vao, she was staying in his room at Junior's Club to avoid passing it on to anyone else. The Faunus placed his hands on his hips, a smirk playing on his lips. "Falling asleep will get you killed, Mr. Rose! Now get on the floor, Vao's going to save you!"

Y/N groaned tiredly, climbing out of his seat. Vao wasn't paying attention; he was too busy playing with his pencil. Tyrian shot him too.

"You're dead, Mr. Branwen."

"Wot, how?"

"You were standing in the middle of a busy street! A car ran you over!"

Vao frowned. "Aw, man..."

The femboy flopped down next to Y/N, staring him in the eyes. And then he grinned. "Hi~!"

"Mr. Branwen, corpses don't speak! Two weeks of detention!"

"YOU FOCKING WOT."

Cardin raised his hand. Tyrian pointed at him. "Yes, Mr. Winchester?"

The ginger scratched his head in confusion. "If Vao's dead, how does he get detention?"

"Bang. You're dead too."

"W-why!?"

"Questioning my logic! Keep talking and I'll give you detention, too!" Tyrian laughed. Cardin groaned, sliding out of his chair. Tyrian paced back and forth, talking to the class. "You see, not-so-pretty students of mine, there isn't much room to think about logic on the battlefield. As we grow closer to the Vytal Festival, you simply won't have the time to ask such questions. Mr. Winchester just got sniped because he was too occupied asking questions. You have to be quick on your feet. Combat has a flow, and it's about meeting that flow."

"Oh, like Dance Dance Revolution!" Yang cheered from her seat. Tyrian pointed his finger gun at her, the blonde preparing to lay down. But at the last second, Tyrian moved his finger to Weiss. "Bang! Ms. Schnee, you're dead!"

"H-huh? How!?"

"Misfire. Yang, you're still alive."

The brawler pumped her fist in the air, giggling as Weiss climbed out of her seat. This was how most students spent Tyrian's classes; on the floor, listening as he spoke.

"The flow of combat, as Ms. Xiao-Long put it, is not too different from a rhythm game. There's a certain tempo when clashing blades with your opponent, and one mishap will cost you either a limb, or your life." He began scribbling down notes on the chalkboard, his tail swishing behind him. "We've already seen some model combat fitness from our students here in Beacon Academy. Pyrrha, for example, is a prodigy."

The Spartan blushed at the praise, jotting down what Tyrian was writing. The teacher turned, leaning on the board. "But some of you won't make it in the Vytal Festival. You'll get taken down, and bring your team down with you. Some of you need to learn to work together. An example of team work would be Mr. Rose and Mr. Branwen."

Y/N looked up when he heard the compliment. Vao was already asleep. Tyrian pushed off the wall, scribbling down a rough picture of the two students. They were crude, but it worked.

"Mr. Rose is fast, agile. His katana is light enough to move with ease, and he quickly adapts to the flow of combat. Coupled with this, he is also great at forming strategies and noticing weak points to target. Mr. Branwen, on the other hand, is slow. This is because his weapon is much heavier, but packs a mean punch. He also has his strength on his side, meaning if he were to be disarmed, he could reliably hold his own in hand to hand. That's probably because he gets beat up by his sister a lot though."