Chapter 44: War on Vale

Disclaimer: Song not mine. You all know the deal.

And we're nearing this story's conclusion. And soon, we'll be on to the third and final story.

It's time to confront Salem and the King.

...

They could hear it as the truck roared through the broken gates of Vale, the screams of millions of people. Smoke clouds towered over the city, nearly blocking out the sky. Gunfire from the police and mafia filled their ear drums, the truck screeching to a halt. Y/N leapt out with Cardin and Russell close behind him.

Weiss, Yang, and Blake jumped out of their truck, their weapons ready. The abominations were storming the city, slaughtering whoever stood in their path. Y/N felt his heart break.

Nearly three years ago, he had been exploring the city with Vao and Verde. To see it up in smoke and flame was devastating. He gritted his teeth, gripping his katana tightly. "Let's go! We need to get to the castle!" He screamed. Someone grabbed his shoulder, stopping him in his tracks. Sasha towered over him, her scimitar slung over her shoulder.

"Yeah, you ain't going anywhere without me," she chuckled. "We've all got a score to settle."

Cardin grinned at the tall tomboy, spinning his mace around in his hand. "Glad you're here," he said. Sasha just laughed.

"Glad my boyfriend isn't a pussy."

Cardin went silent. Y/N chuckled under his breath, pointing his katana forward. "There's no time for jokes! Let's go!"

They charged down the street, their hearts beating as one. There was an explosion from an alley, nearly knocking them to the ground. Junior came flying from between the buildings, an abomination chasing after him. The eldritch monstrosity let out a deafening scream, nearly sounding human. Y/N began to circle it, squeezing down the trigger of his rifle.

"Weiss! Hold it's tentacles in place with your Glyphs! Russell, use your daggers to cut its eyes! Blake, Sasha, prepare for a slingshot!"

Weiss tapped her rapier into the ground, closing her eyes. As the beast made an attempt to swat Y/N, it found its limbs trapped. Russell landed on top of it, staring into its horrific face. He could feel his mind tearing itself apart. He gritted his teeth, plunging his weapons into the abomination. It let out a shrill shriek that made his ears bleed, nearly crippling him. Blake threw one end of her Gambol Shroud to Yang, who immediately tied it to a lamppost. Sasha grabbed the ribbon, pulling back as far as she could without tearing it. "Y/N! Cardin! We're ready!" She screamed.

Y/N and Cardin stood by each other's sides, sharing a look. They nodded, running straight into the monster. They hadn't expected it to be this heavy - they could hardly push it towards Sasha. Another set of hands landed between them, followed by Junior's snarl.

"This bitch busted up my fucking bar!" He roared. They grunted before pushing the abomination as hard as they could, finally sending it skidding towards the ribbon. Once it pressed against the fabric, Sasha finally let go. The monster was launched into the air, soaring over the buildings. Junior dusted himself off, lighting another cigar and taking a drag.

"Damn it, Y/N! Thought I'd never see you again after Ironwood took you!"

"Boss, what's going on!? Why didn't you evacuate!?" Weiss shouted at him. Junior just held his arms out.

"I told you! We're in a Family! We have each other's backs, no matter what!"

Y/N grinned. Even if Vao had questionable friends, he knew how to find the most loyal ones. Junior picked up his bat, taking his cigar out of his mouth. "We're really struggling, though! Nothing we do hurts these fucking things! They're like Verde's abominations, but jacked up on steroids!"