Chapter 31: Making a Mistake

Disclaimer: Video not mine, music not mine. All rights to their respectful owners.

Verde makes a mistake.

...

Thud!

Y/N tumbled across the floor, the mafia members crowding around him. One helped him to his feet, staring at his bruised and battered face.

"Ey... He got fucked up."

"No shit," Junior growled. He was making his way through the crowd, patting the younger man on the back. "Good to see you again, kid."

Y/N was confused. He was disoriented, and didn't know where he was at first. Raven was leaning against one of the tables, worn out from using her Semblance. But still she spoke. "Be... Grateful that Sasha texted me... If she hadn't, you'd still be on Patch," she growled. Not far away, the giant was applying bandages to her arms, wincing as she poured alcohol on them. Yang shrouded his vision, clinging to his face. Her lilac eyes were filled with worry, her fingers travelling over his bruises.

"Y-you're missing teeth!" She wailed. Y/N pulled away, focusing on his Semblance. He was grateful Yang pointed that out. As his new teeth popped from his bloodied gums he stood up, dusting himself off.

"Thanks... For breaking me out," he panted. Cardin just grinned through his swollen lip. "Yeah, no problem. That's what bros do." Sasha nodded in agreement, rising to her full height.

"Yeah! And now that we're together, we can continue our investigation!" She cheered. Y/N looked around at the mafia, most of the members grinning at him. Except Smith. Smith never pays attention and has a lower IQ than Vao did. No one likes Smith. Melanie leaned back on one foot, basking in Y/N's bewilderment. "What's with that look? Surprised we wanna help out?"

"Well... Yeah. I figured you'd be busy..."

Junior laughed heartily. "C'mon, you should know this already. We're a family!" His smile fell, giving way to a darker look. "And besides... That bitch sent that Rojo guy, offed Vao, and took your arm. I think we've got more than a little score to settle... Don't ya think?"

Y/N couldn't agree more. Junior grinned again, as if remembering something. "Oh yeah, one of your friends from Beacon came to visit a couple hours ago. I think he's here to help with the investigation, too."

"... Friend? Like, Blake?"

Blake shook her head from where she stood next to Miltia. "No, I just got here with your aunt."

That made Y/N worried. He didn't have very many friends outside most of RWBY, FRSB, and Cardin. Junior shrugged. "It was some chubby blonde kid. Said he knew you. He should still be upstairs with Verde..."

"Chubby blonde... W-wait..." Cardin suddenly went pale. He vividly remembered visiting Dove in the hospital after Verde burned him. He recalled his teammate muttering about revenge. He looked at Y/N, his jaw dropping open as he uttered the name. "I-It's Dove! Dove's upstairs with Verde!"

Y/N didn't say anything. With Cardin and Sasha close behind, they stomped up the stairs, pushing blindly into the dark halls of the second floor. They could hear Junior demanding the mafia follow them down below.

Y/N tried to twist the knob. But the door wouldn't budge. He rattled the handle, slamming his shoulder into the wood before screaming. "Verde! Verde, open the door!"

But there was only silence. Eerie, empty, deafening silence. Y/N would have rather Verde cried out in pain than be silent. At least they'd know she was alive. Junior pushed his way past Y/N, his bat held tightly in his hands. With a holler he slammed the doorknob off, kicking it wide open and revealing the room. As Y/N fumbled for the light switch and clicked it on, he felt his heart stop when he looked up to see the towers of books that created the labyrinth. Countless more than what Verde had before, the room had become a library. Sasha, having to bend down to fit through the doorway, peered over the walls of the maze. Understandable; if she knocked them down, she'd risk crushing someone under the weight.