Chapter 19: Uncovered Truths

ATTENTION! This chapter is much shorter than usual. This is because the parts I would have been adding are planned to be in their own separate chapters.

I apologize for this. The word count is nearly 5,000 words, when I like to make my chapters 7,000 to 10,000+. I am sorry.

I hope you all enjoy the chapter. The next will contain more about Y/N dealing with his trauma. This one was a perfect opportunity to further the relationship of a couple characters, and flesh it out with some foreshadowing.

I am sorry if the story does not appear to focus on Y/N very much. One way or another, this will change, even if I must take drastic measures.

What I am trying to do, is outdo myself when I wrote Ruby's death and Y/N saving Vao in the original story. That includes getting everyone attached to the other members of the cast, rather than just the protagonist.

...

Oobleck stared at Vao in silence. There was no way he could have asked that. There was no possible way he could know what he was talking about and still be sane. He must've misheard the femboy. That had to be it. The doctor chuckled lightly. "Forgive me, Vao! But what was the question again?"

Vao took a sip from his flask, his red eyes burning into Oobleck's. "I asked wot a Salem is. I'm lookin' into something, and I need answers."

Oobleck felt his heart rate spike. He didn't mishear Vao. And that horrified him. Oobleck knew he was sweating, and from Vao's suspicious look, he was onto him. The doctor sighed, straightening his tie. "... If you know what is good for you, you'll never ask that again."

Vao was taken aback by Oobleck's tone. Dark and grim, with no hint of laughter. "Mate, are you... Threatening me?"

Oobleck shook his head, pushing his glasses up his nose. "No. It is a warning. Whatever you have learned, forget it. Never look into this matter, ever again. Are we clear?"

Vao was getting angry. He pushed off the roof of the car, flipping Oobleck off. "You know wot mate? Suck on my taint and gargle my balls. Thanks for the Sherbet, now sod off, ya daft cunt."

Vao spun on his heel, walking towards the road. He could feel Oobleck's eyes following him, watching him intensely. Once Vao rounded the corner, he sighed in relief.

Bzzzt.

Bzzzt.

Vao reached into his pocket, fishing out his scroll. Verde was calling him. He tapped the green button, pressing the device to his ear. "Hello, love. I'm heading back to the Club in a bit, I was going to sober up a bit before I visit."

["I appreciate your concern for me, but this cannot wait. Something happened. Please, come quickly to Mr. Xiong's room."

"Oh, yeah. One sec."

Vao hung up, and let himself fall forward. His face mere inches from the pavement, he vanished into a cloud of ash. And in that instant, his feet landed on the wooden floor of Junior's bedroom. The first thing Vao noticed was his team and Cardin. Except something was wrong. Y/N was staring at the ground, his face paler than the snow. His eyes were red and puffy, and Cardin had his arm wrapped around him. Vao cautiously stepped forward, resting a hand on his shoulder.

"... Y/N? Wot's wrong?"

Verde tugged on Vao's shirt, catching his attention. She was pointing at the door, and then him. Vao picked up what she was trying to tell her, following the artist outside the room. Verde closed the door quietly, and once she was sure their voices couldn't be heard she heaved a sigh.