Chapter 28: Rain Over Innsmaw

She was met with silence. That didn't sit well with her. Raven pulled her lips back, exposing her teeth. "Did I stutter?"

"Y-you... What?" Yang stammered. Raven shot her a glare.

"I want in on your little mafia. They're the ones helping you track Salem, right?" She asked. "There's no other way you would have known Ruby was in the industrial district. Not even the Hunters looking for her knew." She stepped up to Y/N's seat, slamming her hands down and leaning dangerously close to his face.

"That little bitch killed my kid. You've been looking for Salem through Junior and his boys, right? I want in. I'm not asking, I'm telling you," she hissed harshly. Y/N knew better than to say anything against it. And besides, having a trained Huntress on their side was bound to be helpful. Raven stared at him intensely, awaiting his response. And finally, with a deep breath Y/N nodded.

"O-okay... We were going to head to the Club tonight, a-and start making plans to go back to Innsmaw," he explained. Raven smiled, ruffling his short blonde hair.

"See, not so hard to work together, is it?" She growled. She stood up, motioning for them to do the same. "Then what are we waiting for? All of you get to the parking lot; I'll be down in a minute." As her students filed out the door, Raven turned to her desk, fishing out another bottle of whiskey. She almost jumped when she heard Verde clear her throat. The artist had stayed behind. The Huntress groaned. "I told you to wait for me in the parking lot."

"I am aware," Verde answered. "However, I had a question."

"What do you want, kid?"

Verde pointed at Raven's bottle, her face as still as stone. "... May I try some of that?"

Raven stared at her for a moment, unsure of what to even say to that. Knowing Verde's past, she was the last person Raven would have expected to ask that question. She arched an eyebrow. "Why? Didn't you make Vao stop drinking?"

Verde nodded quietly. "... I did. But... I wanted to try it. I even brought something to carry it in." She reached into her pocket, fishing out a small silver tin. Raven felt her breath catch in her throat.

It was Vao's flask, long unused. His name was poorly scratched into the side, blemishing the silver casing. Verde held it out. "... Please, Ms. Branwen."

Raven caved, snatching the flask away and filling it to the brim, tossing it back. "... Drinking ain't the answer, kiddo."

Verde nodded again, staring at the flask in silence. She felt like a hypocrite. But even still, she lifted the tin to her lips, letting the liquid slide down her tongue. She didn't understand why Vao liked alcohol so much. It was bitter, burned her throat, and didn't taste very good. But it did make her feel a bit warmer than before. Raven looked at the closed door before sighing, pulling a chair and sitting down. "Take a seat."

"Why?"

"Because I said so."

Verde obeyed, pulling her own chair before sitting down. She winced as she took another sip from the flask, letting the tin fall back to her lap. Raven crossed her arms and legs, locking eyes with the artist. "... You're taking it pretty hard, huh?" She asked softly. Verde didn't respond, waiting for the teacher to finish her sentence. "... Yet you never cry. Never take a break. You just... Sit there, with that blank slate of a face."

Verde didn't answer again. She just stared at her lap, at Vao's old flask. Raven sighed quietly, closing her eyes. "... It hurts... Doesn't it?"

"... Yes."

Raven hummed softly, nodding her head. "I can tell. Even if you don't express yourself, it's in your eyes. The monotonous drone of you voice. He... Was the reason you felt like you could express yourself, right? That you could smile, without a care in the world. He was... Your first friend. Am I correct?"