Chapter 38: Sasha, Part One

Sweat dripped from the six year old's head as she carried the basket over her head, filled to the brim with wheat, carrots, and rice - all separated into their own sides, of course. She smiled happily to herself; the harvest had been plentiful. With this, her family could afford a meal for the next week at least.

She reached up and plucked a carrot, dusting the dirt off on her shorts, feeling the vegetable crunch as she took a bite. When she reached her home, she tapped on the door gently with her foot, waiting patiently as the footsteps from within shuffled closer. And as the door open, she beamed.

"Mama! We got a lotta crops this year!" She giggled happily. The older woman clapped her hands together, smiling brightly.

"Aw, did you carry that here all by yourself?"

"Mm-hm!"

The girl's mother looked around on the horizon, using her hand as a makeshift visor to block out the hot sun. "... Where's Papa?"

The little girl pointed towards the fields, where one could make out the faint silhouette of a man working hard, ploughing the ground and planting fresh seeds from where she had picked the fruits of their labor. "He's still in the fields!"

The woman chuckled, ruffling her daughter's hair. "Oh, but isn't it boring playing in the fields all day? Look at you, you're covered in dirt!"

"But it's fun! And I like the sand!" The girl whined. She was such a tomboy. Her mother sighed, nodding her head. "I know dear, I was just teasing. Can you be a dear and take that to the storeroom?"

"Okay!"

She didn't hesitate to prance away, the basket swaying from side to side. She set it down only to open the door to the storeroom, sliding the basket inside. She looked around at the produce gathered, snickering mischievously. "Nikita, I know you're in here."

A small head of short red hair poked out from behind a crate, the boy frowning. "Aw, how'd you know?"

"Because you tried to scare me last week and I hit you!"

Nikita didn't seem to be fond of the memory. "You made me lose a tooth, Sasha... You're freakishly strong for a girl..."

Sasha giggled, leaning against the doorway. "No, you just don't exercise! You should help me and Papa in the field once in a while! Maybe then you can beat me in a fight!" She flexed her arm, mischief written on her face. "But until then, you'll always be my baby brother."

"I'm a year older than you!"

Sasha laughed as Nikita threw a carrot at her, shielding her head with her arms. She stepped out of the storeroom, waiting for her brother to follow. Nikita squinted as he stepped into the sun, his eyes adjusting to the brightness as the two stared over their village.

It was very small. Only sixteen houses occupied the village, and with them sixteen families. The Steel family was one of those families. Nikita groaned, already sweating. "Sasha, it's too hot to play outside... It has to be like, one hundred and thirty degrees out..."

"One hundred and ten! I checked!" Sasha claimed proudly. Nikita groaned again. "Still too hot..."

Sasha laughed, stopping when she saw something. Or, some people. Four figures dressed in traditional Vacuan clothing, entering a neighbor's home, belonging to the Copper family. Their mother looked out the window, fear flickering in her eyes.

"Nikita, Sasha. Come inside," she whispered harshly. Sasha whined.

"But Mama, it's a nice day out."

"Come inside, now!" She demanded, this time more firm. Nikita and Sasha shared a worried look. Their mother sounded frightened. But what could possibly scare her, in this small little village far from the city? They didn't disobey her. They walked back around the house, spotting their father waiting for them. The moment they entered, he locked the door behind them as their mother drew the curtains. They were brought to the main room, pushed into a corner. Their father knelt down in front of them, pointing to his ears.