The Dinner

Olga

My heart raced as I saw Igor again. A situation came up between him and I before he left in 1916. It was my fault, truly. But that forever put a strain on our relationship. What happened between him and I? That was a story for another time.
"Vladimir." Dmitri said under his breath. Vladimir looked over at him. "Bow, you dimwit. Bow."
"Oh! My apologies. It slipped my mind." Vladimir chuckled. Dmitri slapped his forehead in shame.
"Your imperial majesties." Vladimir bowed. "Thank you for letting me into your home. It's such an honor to meet you both."
Papa grinned and nodded. He grabbed Vladimir's hand and shook it. "It's a pleasure to meet you as well. I've heard so much about you. I am sorry that we are only just now getting to meet."
"No, do not apologize, sir. I simply hope we can get to know each other more in the future." Vladimir beamed. He then moved over and kissed Mama's hand. She didn't smile at him or even say anything after he kissed her hand. Me, Tatiana, Anastasia, and Maria all lined up together so we could greet Vladimir too.

"Your imperial highness." He bowed. I quickly protested.
"For us girls, call us by our first names and the patronymic. I'm Olga Nikolaevna." He bent down and kissed my hand.
"Tatiana Nikolaevna." He did the same and moved over.
"Anastasia Nikolaevna. Is it true you're a poet?" She asked. He chuckled.
"Yes, I am. I've also helped translate Grand Duke Konstantine Konstantinovich's stories into French."
"Is it true you like Jews?" Anastasia asked.
"Nastya, stop!" Tatiana scolded. Vladimir laughed it off.
"No, it is alright. She isn't the first nor the last to ask that." Vladimir finally made his way to Maria. She was already blushing.
"I am Maria Nikolaevna. It's nice to meet you." She blushed more. He was no fool and could tell she was blushing. To which, Vladimir blushed as well. He bent down and his her hand much longer than he did with us other girls.
"It is lovely to meet you, Maria Nikolaevna. I'm happy to make your acquaintance." They stared at each other for a few seconds before Alexei tugged on his sleeve. He turned around to see Alexei with a straightened posture.
"You dare not greet the heir to the Russian throne?" Alexei snapped at him. Vladimir almost laughed at the 5'6" boy who was about five-inches smaller than him. But when he realized Alexei was being serious, he bowed.
"Of course not, your imperial highness. I am the most grateful to meet you."
"That is what I thought. Now, kiss my hand." Alexei held his hand up. Vladimir looked over at us girls. We were all giving serious looks at him. He gulped and then kissed Alexei's hand like he had demanded.
"Thank you, Prince Paley."
Papa chuckled. "That's enough, Alyosha. Why don't we go have dinner now?"

All of us sat at the dinner table. For dinner, there was Aspic, salad, and bread. Most of the conversation was Igor, Dmitri, and Vladimir talking about the war and their experiences.
"Tell us, Vladimir. How exactly were you injured?" Mama asked him.
"One of my friends had been shot down in the leg while we were out of the trenches. I ran back to get him and threw him over my shoulder. Just when I got him back down into the trench, a German shot me in the shoulder blade and in my lower-back."
"My goodness! Did you feel fine?"
"Yes, I did. The doctors say it's a miracle that I'm still walking, your majesty."
"That was very brave of you." Maria nodded. Vladimir weakly smiled and shrugged.
"It was truly nothing. I was only being a good friend."
Dmitri rolled his eyes. "Yes, yes, it's a very nice story. But Vladimir, you mustn't forget that we must go see Father tomorrow morning and spend the day with him. Marianne, Natalia, and Irina Pavlovna are asking to see you."
"Are those your sisters?" I asked him.
"Yes, they are. You'd like them. They are very dear and kind."
"Sounds like it! Do you have any siblings from your mother's side?"
"I have two sisters named Olga and a brother named Alexander."
"Ah, very nice. Say Igor, how's Gabriel doing?"
Igor shrugged. "Besides living in exile with his wife, he's alright. Apparently she's pregnant now."
I gasped. "Aw, how sweet!"
Igor was one of eight children. Ioann was the oldest and married to Princess Helen of Serbia. Gabriel was next but currently living in exile in Switzerland. Tatiana Constantinovna was third and married for a short while, but he died in 1915. Constantine was the fourth and very handsome. Oleg was the fifth, bless his soul. He was killed in action in 1914. Igor was sixth. Truly the sweetest boy of the family. He loved animals and playing the piano. George was seventh and Vera was eighth. They are only teenagers still and they seem rather close.

"Yes, God's intention for all of us is to have children. Send my regards to your brother." Rasputin nodded. Igor simply gave a wan smile and nodded at him.
"Speaking of children, where are yours? I know how fond of children you are, Rasputin?" Dmitri glared at him. Rasputin cleared this throat.
"My children are currently at my apartment with my wife."
"So why bring your assistant and not your wife. And what does Rebecca even do besides follow you around like a lost puppy?"
Tatiana grabbed his arm. "Dmitri, stop."
Rasputin raised his hand. "It's alright, Tatiana Nikolaevna. He's only a curious young man."
Rebecca got into the conversation. "I simply take notes over the conversations and healings Father Grigori has had."
Dmitri gave her a cold stare. "Are you sure there is nothing else?"
"What are you implying, your highness?" Rebecca furrowed her eyebrows at him.
Dmitri shrugged. "Nothing. Nothing at all." He then took a sip of his wine.

Papa cleared this throat. "So, young men, now that the war is over...perhaps it's time you all start looking for possible wives again."
Igor choked on his drink and Dmitri burst into laughter. Vladimir kept a serious face and continued to eat his salad. Igor and I exchanged looks with each other.
"Well, my brother Constantine is currently trying to pursue Princess Mary of the UK. As for me, I'm not too sure." Igor muttered and looked over at me with the saddest eyes. I stared down at my plate and took another bite of Aspic.
"Ah, it's all about waiting for the right woman. We cannot rush things when it comes to love. Can we, your majesty?" Vladimir claimed. Papa have a grin.
"Of course, you are absolutely correct, Vladimir."
I just kept looking at Igor and I felt absolutely pained. I stood up quickly and everyone turned their attention towards me.
Tatiana stood up too. "Dear Olishka, whatever is the matter?"
"Oh, I'm just a bit light-headed. Papa, you wouldn't mind if I retired early, would you?"
"Of course not, darling. Should I walk with you upstairs to your room?"
"Please, there's no need to do that. Continue with your dinner. I just need to sleep this headache off. Goodnight everyone." I marched out of the dining room and into the hallway. Just as I was about to walk upstairs, a certain voice stopped me.

"Olga." Igor called out. With tears in my eyes, I turned around.
"Oh Igor, you know how happy I am that you are alive and safe. But it still pains me to know I have hurt you."
"Don't be upset. I'm over the situation, honestly."
I let the tears fall down my cheeks.
"But I am not. Autumn 1916...you told me that day at the beach that you were in love with me and you wanted to marry me. Igor, I just wasn't ready for marriage. I don't even know if I'm ready for marriage now."
Igor sighed. "If you don't love me, tell me that. I shall not waste my time."
"That's the situation! I do not know if I love you like a husband! I know that I surely love you like a friend."
"Well, what am I to do with that? Olga, I cannot wait around for you to love me like a husband."
I nodded at him and wiped the tears from my cheeks. "Don't you think I know that? I wish for you to not wait around for me."
"And that's another problem...I don't think I can ever not wait around for you. You see, I shall wait another fifty-years if that's what it takes."
I gasped. I couldn't take this tonight. My heart still hurt to see him. I believe that I hurt him so very much.
"Goodnight, dear Igor." I nodded at him and turned away. I rushed upstairs before he could get another word in. All I wanted was to go back upstairs and sleep an entire night. But when I closed the door to my room, all I could do was cry.