His Time

Olga

Mama telephoned Igor in his office. Alexei had been running around the halls and then made it to the stairs. He was not being careful like he should have been. Alyosha started running down the stairs and tripped over his own feet, falling all of the way down and hitting his head, hard, on the floor. Mama called for Father Grigori immediately, but was apparently out doing something else at the moment.

I stayed by Alexei's bed. He whined and cried, complaining of the immense amount of pain he was in. Mama and I called for wet cloths to be put on his head and body to keep the fever down. Tatiana and Dmitri were on their way with Anastasia. Anna Vyrubova claimed she would go to her room and send a telegram to Maria.

"Olenka, I am in such pain! Make it stop!" Alexei cried out and started to toss and turn in his bed.

"I am here, baby. I am here." I leaned to him and put my hand on his forehead. "My God, he is burning up. Can we get some morphine? Where is Doctor Botkin?"

"Doctor Botkin is busy at the moment retrieving some medicine to get together. He will be here any moment." Mama walked into the room. "I wish he would hurry up as well."

"Is Mashka coming to Russia? I miss her." Alexei asked, starting to pant so he can catch his breath.

"We are not sure yet. But I am sure she will once she hears about you." I softly said to him.

"I-I miss how it was five-years-ago. I wish all of my sisters, me, and our parents lived under one roof again. I miss spending time and dancing on the Imperial Standart."

"Sometimes I miss it as well. But once you get old enough, and you get married, then you will understand. Everything is meant to change, and that is alright."

"Olga...will you do me a favor?" Alexei moaned and reached his hand out. I took and gently held his hand. "If y-you and Igor have another son...will you name him Alexei?"

I softly chuckled. "I will see what I can do. But I am sure that will be arranged."

I looked up at Mama, whom was giving me a look as if to move. I let go of Alexei's hand and stood up. Mama then sat down and took Alexei's hand now. He softly sang him some songs in English and used her other hand to stroke his hair. I left the room quietly and found Igor standing in the hallway.

"Igor." I said as I approached him. He looked over at me with deep concern in his eyes.

"How is Alyosha?"

I shook my head. "Not well. His fever is at 40.5°C. We are scared that it will only go up."

"Has your family been able to get into contact with Rasputin yet?"

"No, not yet. And Doctor Botkin is not up here yet to give Alexei his medication. Oh Igor, I am panicked. What if...what if Alexei-"

Igor quickly pulled me into a hug without another word.

"Alexei will get through this. He always does. And when he gets better, we can take him to the zoo and eat 'Fairy Floss'. He would like that, huh?"

"Yeah, he would love that." I giggled. Igor was so good at saying the right things to calm me down. We pulled away from each other, and he assisted me into taking some deep breaths.

"Are you better?"

"A little. Are Tatiana, Dmitri, and Anastasia here yet?"

"No, not yet."

"My Goodness, I hope everything is alright with them too."

Without another word, we heard the doors of the Alexander Palace open and shut. Feet scurried and voices were loud. Tatiana, Dmitri, and Anastasia came running down the hallway to Igor and I.

"Olga!" Tatiana cried out and immediately hugged me. I hugged her back and we just embraced each other for about a minute.

"How is Alyosha?" Tatiana asked me and pulled away.

"Not well."

That's when Mama walked out of the room and over to us. "He just fell asleep. We should let him rest." Mama whispered. Tatiana and her hugged each other, and then Mama and Dmitri hugged.

"Where is Father Grigori?" Tatiana furrowed her eyebrows.

"We think he is with another patient or something of the sort. Come on, we must drink some tea and stay calm. That is what is best right now." Igor nodded.
————————————————————————
Anastasia

Papa pulled me to the side and we went to his office. I stood, staring at my feet. Papa paced back and fort in front of me. We were both lost for words on what to say.

"Anastasia, I do not know what to say."

"Me neither."

"Really? You have nothing to say?" Papa asked in such a hostile tone.

I shook my head. Tears were forming in my eyes and a lump was forming in my throat. I clenched my fists.

"No, I do not. Because I am not sorry."

"Believe me, I know that. You do not seem sorry. I just hope you do not feel sorry later on."

"How long, Papa?" I began to cry. "How long have you known?"

Papa stopped pacing and leaned against his desk. "I have known since last Summer. I started having the Okhrana follow you, just to make sure you did not put yourself in dangerous situations or learn about a little political ideal called Communism. But then, I learned you started spending time with a certain gentleman."

"Papa-"

"His name is Makari Kuznetsov. He's a journalist, yes?"

I nodded. "He is a good man. Makari has never done anything wrong. He has only ever been good to me."

"It seems that way. It really seems like you love this man. Can I go as far to say that?" Papa crossed his arms.

"That is true. I love Makari. And I shall leave him alone and be punished, if that is what it will take to make sure he stays out of trouble. I want to keep him safe. I have already caused him enough trouble."

"Nastya, I have no intention of doing anything to Makari Kuznetsov. He seems like a good man. I am just worried that he is a Communist-"

"He is not! Makari knows Communists, but is not one. Papa, you must believe me."

Papa stood up and sharply exhaled. He put his hand on his head. "I cannot do this right now. My son is on the verge of dying and my daughter has been going behind my back."

"You are trying to tell me that you have never gone against someone you love's back?" I shouted at him and got closer. "And I am so sorry for lying to you! But I am not sorry for anything I did with Makari."

"I-"

Monsieur Gilliard opened the door to Papa's office . Papa and I looked over at him. Monsieur Gilliard only took one step in.

"I am sorry for interrupting, your majesty." Monsieur Gilliard spoke softly. "But the Tsarevich has woken up. The Tsarina asks for you and Anastasia Nikolaevna at once."

Papa nodded again and looked right at me. "We shall discuss this later. Let's go see your brother as of now."

And without another word, Papa and I were making our way over to Alyosha.