Winter Games

Anastasia

I woke up to there being about two-feet of snow outside. I had practically begged Papa to let us play hockey and simply ice skate at the lake at Catherine Park, and he agreed to my surprise. Some imperial officers were going to go shovel off a lot of the snow on the lake. In the meantime, we were eating breakfast in the dining hall.

"I am quite jealous that I will not be able to participate." Maria sighed. "But you should all tell me how it goes."

"We will. The imperial officers are bringing out our old sleds so we can pull the children around." Olga smiled.

"Oh, that's very fun. I cannot wait to pull my child in a sled too."

Tatiana smiled. "Perhaps we could also teach the children how to build a snowman. Baby Irina and Oleg should love it very much."

"I cannot wait until they're old enough so we could play hockey together. That should be fun." I smirked.

"We should have the kitchen staff get hot chocolate ready. I am sure we will all be freezing." Igor nodded at us and then took a sip of tea.

I raised my hand up high. "I need Igor on my team! He is the tallest."

"Fine," Dmitri scoffed. "Then I want to have the Tsar on my team. He's the next muscular next to me. And we will also have Tatiana on our team. Since she is tall."

"Not because I am your wife or anything?" Tatiana muttered under her breath.

"No, not particularly. But you're the next best option." Dmitri groaned. Dmitri and Tatiana exchanged glares while eating. There was more tension between them than I had ever seen. I always knew they were unhappy, but this just seemed too different. Their glares to each other had not gone unnoticed neither. I know Vladimir and Maria saw it too.

After breakfast was over, Papa told us to all go change. Rebecca followed me up and helped me find all of my winter clothes. I was going to wear my sports trousers again with a button-up shirt and a coat. Then I put on my hat and gloves. I tied my black leather boots and then I was ready to go. I walked down the halls and downstairs to where my family was. It was so funny to see them all bundled up in their winter clothes, honestly.

"Ah, she is back at it with the man-clothes." Dmitri snickered and adjusted his gloves.

"I personally love it." Vladimir smiled at me, wrapping his arm around Maria. "Women revolting against old and useless standards is the best."

"You would encourage this behavior, wouldn't you?" Dmitri rolled his eyes at his brother.

Tatiana cleared her throat. "Boys, let us be nice. We do not want bad behavior on the ice today. We shall be fair."

"No such thing. I will obliterate you all." I smirked.

"You truly are an imp, Nastya." Olga laughed.

Papa waved his hand and we were following him out of the palace. Mama, Vladimir, and Maria waved goodbye at us as we walked all the way to Catherine Park. It was freezing outside and we still had to tread through a lot of snow. The men were being a bit immature throwing snowballs at each other on the way over there. Anya Vyrubova was coming with us along with Stephanie and Dasha. They were carrying the sleds for the children and watching them. Baby Irina, Oleg, and Lyokha laughed as they waddled though the snow.

"Tatiana, wait for me." I jogged to her side.

Tatiana grinned at me. "Baby Irina is so thrilled. I hope Anya Vyrubova gets plenty of photos. They are only young once."

"That is true. Even we were once that age, which is odd to think about sometimes. I can hardly remember being four."

"I know what you been."