A True Nurse

Tatiana

"Does that hurt?" I asked as I injected the patient with morphine. She shook her head and I took the syringe out of her. "I'll be back in a bit." I said as I set the syringe on a tray. I walked away and ran into Doctor Ivanov. He smiled brightly at me.
"Doctor Ivanov, you seem rather chipper this afternoon." I grinned.
"I am, and rightfully so."
"How?"
"Well, I may have written to a nursing school over in England. Tatiana Nikolaevna, the school I have written to is the best of the best."
My heart leaped. "Are you serious right now?"
Doctor Ivanov nodded. "They've heard you were the second daughter of the last Tsar, and they believe it would be a privilege to have a Grand Duchess at their school. Tatiana Nikolaevna, you would learn to be a certified nurse, how to identify surgery tools, help midwives deliver babies, and so much more. It'd only be from September to December."
It seemed to have been a dream and I absolutely loved nursing. But that was the thing, Dmitri would never let me go.

"Doctor Ivanov, I would love to go. But you should have told me when you were first thinking about writing to them so I could ask my parents. Also, December is so close to my wedding in January. Dmitri wouldn't like that." I sighed.
Doctor Ivanov frowned. "I see. Well, I would not want you to do anything you weren't allowed to do. But, off the record, you should talk to his imperial highness. It's a new age, Tatiana Nikolaevna."
I giggled. "Now that, that is true."
We walked away from each other and I went back to working. Rebecca suddenly ran up to me with a large smile.

"Oh, Tatiana Nikolaevna! I didn't mean to eavesdrop but that's amazing news!" Rebecca exclaimed.
"Yes, it is. Becoming a real nurse would be great. But I probably won't go."
"How come? It's a great opportunity."
"I simply have too much going on in my life to go to a nursing school. But to have such an opportunity, it would be great."
Rebecca laughed. "It's better than great. A Grand Duchess becoming a real nurse. Now that's something."

I returned home that evening. I found Dmitri and my parents actually sitting together in the Mauve Room and reading. It was a coincidence that I had found them together.
"Tatya, how was the hospital? Hopefully not as cramped as it used to be." Papa asked.
"No, not as full as it used to be. But Doctor Ivanov told me some news."
"Oh, and whatever would that be?" Mama asked, looking up from her book. I weakly smiled and deeply exhaled.
"He has got be a spot in the top nursing school in England. And with all three of your permissions, I would love to go."
Papa, Mama, and Dmitri exchanged looks of confusion and anything except looks of joy. The three of them made it clear how opposed they were to the idea.

"But, what about the wedding?" Dmitri furrowed his eyes brows.
"It's from September to December. I'll be back in time for the wedding and to prep for it. I am sorry that it has been sprung on all of you last minute. Truly, I will not go if any of you don't want me to." I sighed.
Papa cleared his throat. "Do they know that you're the daughter of the Tsar of Russia?"
I nodded. "Yes, Doctor Ivanov had to tell them. Personally, I think it would be a great opportunity to see some of my English relatives. It would also be my last opportunity to truly do something like this before I'm married and Dima and I start building a family." I placed my hand on Dmitri's shoulder. For a minute, the three of them were completely silent and communicating through their stares.

"I don't completely support it. But it will be the last time to truly do whatever you'd like before you're married. Tatiana, you have my permission to go. But you must take Anya Demidova, Lili Dehn, or Anna Vyrubova with you." Papa insisted. I smiled and ran over to him. I hugged him tightly.
"Oh, thank you! I love you, Papa!"
"Then I guess I have no choice but to support it too." Mama grinned. "Besides, it'd be good for you."
"Then I guess I also have no choice. But it's too late to change the date of the wedding." Dmitri shrugged. I nodded at him and gave a weak smile.
"Of course, Dima. Thank you all."

The next morning, our English relatives left for Moscow. Mama and Aunt Victoria hugged several times. Uncle Louis and Papa shook hands and agreed to write to each other. The OTMA and Alexei said goodbye to George, Nadeja, and Dickie.
"Goodbye, dear cousin." I smiled and hugged George.
"Goodbye. Please write to us." George replied.
"Of course. Goodbye, Dickie." I smiled and hugged him too. They went around and hugged everyone. The only two that didn't hug were Dickie and Maria. Which was understandable after everything that has happened.
"Well, we must get going. I love you, Alix." Aunt Victoria kissed Mama's cheek one last time.
"I love you too, Vickie. Tell Ella I miss her and wish she would visit the palace sometime."
"I shall. Let's go." Aunt Victoria waved to all of her family members. We watched them walk down the main hall and out the front doors. Finally, the palace would be quieter. Our only guests left were the Georgievna sisters and the young men staying with us.

"Well, that has been fun. But it's over now. We can all go back to our regular lives." Papa grinned.
"Oh, I'm going to miss them so, Nicky." Mama moaned.
"I know, Sunny. But we can always write to each other. Now come on, it's time for tea and cigarettes."