The Carnival

Anastasia

After my little drunk incident, Makari had reached out to me while I was at a ROOIW meeting. He claimed that he was the one who was sorry and that he should've taken better care of me that night. In a way, it was sort of sweet. But I was so utterly embarrassed of what happened. Anyway, Makari told me he had a surprise for me and it was on the upper-class side of the city. I was to be dropped off by Tatiana and Dmitri's chauffeur on Nikolaevich St.

"Anastasia." A voice said. I turned to look, and I saw Makari with a bicycle. He still wore a worn suit, had fluffy golden hair, and his wire-rimmed glasses. My goodness, he was hopelessly enduring.

"What's this?"

"A bicycle."

"I know that, idiot." I rolled my eyes. "I meant, why do you need that?"

Makari shrugged. "Where I am taking us is just a little farther away. I do not have a car and the few trolleys there are are all busy now. So, this was the next best thing. Get on."

"Where? Unless there is some invisible seat." I laughed. Makari pointed to the front of the bicycle.

"Put your feet on the pegs. You can lean against the front and I will do the rest."

"Ha! You are out of your mind! There is no way I am doing that."

I leaned against the bicycle, tightly gripping his hands that were on the handlebars. Makari was riding subtly, but seemed calm and focused. On the other hand, I was so scared of falling off the bicycle and hurting myself. Also, I maybe have just not wanted my hands to leave Makari's. Oh, why did I like him so much? He's an idiot. But an adorable idiot, my goodness.

Finally, I saw it in the distance. There were large crowds of people, tents, and I could see some carnival rides up ahead. I turned my head back and smiled widely at him. In a swift move, I leaped off the bike and on to my feet. Makari had to stop himself on the bike and then come to me. He ended up hiding his bicycle behind some tree.

"I have never been to a carnival!" I exclaimed.

"Really?"

I shook my head. "I never had the opportunity to. What is this?"

"Oh, I know this is something some Count is hosting for upper-class and middle-class commoners. I got some money together and I have enough to get us admitted."

I frowned. What if there were other royals and aristocrats that would notice me? That would be dangerous.

"Are Romanovs and what not here?"

"Anastasia, no! Does this look like a place a Romanov would go?" Makari laughed. "It is mostly just rich people. Royals and aristocrats have better things to do then this. Now come on, we should go ride the carousel." Makari took my hand, taking me into the carnival.

There were some foods I had never tried. There was a newer American sweet that had become popular over there called "Fairy Floss". It's like sweet and sticky dust wrapped up on a stick. Then, Makari and I played a couple games like Darts and Ring Toss. And towards the end, we got on the Ferris Wheel and that's when I learned I had a crippling fear of heights. Makari took it as an opportunity to make fun of me, so I made sure to punch him in the arm. We had more fun on the carousel instead.

"You we're so scared! The look on your face!" Makari laughed out loud.

"I was not! I was not scared, I swear!" I laughed with him and shook my head.

"Sure, keep telling yourself that. Oh Anastasia, I know what we should do. Now-"

We were suddenly interrupted by two women who came up to us. One of them was tall, slim, with dark-brown eyes. He was elegant looking, reminding me a little bit of Tatiana. The other girl was short, but thin with red hair. They had nicer clothes. The girls were not from Makari's side of the city.