Biarritz

Anastasia

The train ride seemed longer than it needed to be. We made a stop in Poland instead of Germany, due to the idea of violence. I missed Poland and our lodge in the forest. It was quiet and peaceful out there. I did not remember it because I was so young, but my cousin Ella and Uncle Ernie came to visit in Winter 1903. Unfortunately, Ella got very ill and passed away at eight-years-old. I do not remember her and Maria only had a few glimpses, but Olga and Tatiana remember her fondly. Olga even wrote a prayer and her hope to join Ella in heaven one day.

The train stopped in Nantes around 04:00. We moved into cars that were waiting for us. One far was for my parents, Dmitri, Vladimir, Igor, and Lyokha. The second car had Olga, Tatiana, Oleg, Baby Irina, and Beth. The third car had Little Dmitri, Kostya, Nicholas, and I. Unfortunately, there were going to be six-hours until we arrived in Biarritz. We spent the time chatting, telling stories, and sleeping.

Around 10:15, we pulled up to a large castle. It sat at a cliff side close to the beach. The skies were so blue along with the ocean. Even Livadia's water was not as blue. The warm blew as the windows of the car were down and I could feel the sun's heat move inside the car. I could get used to the Summer's warmth. I peeked my head outside the car to find that were not the only ones arriving around this time. The British royal family were standing on the top stairs of the steps up to the mansion.

"King Alfonso of Spain and his wife, Queen Victoria Eugenie of Spain. Along with their children, their Royal highnesses: Prince Alfonso, Infante Jaime, Infanta Beatriz, Infanta Maria Cristina, Infante Juan, and Infante Gonzalo. Along with their spouses and grandchildren..." and the list went on. The Belgian, Danish, and Dutch royal families were in front of us so it was going to be a good twenty-minutes before we got out of the cars.

Finally, our cars pulled up to the front and it was our time to get out of the cars.

"Tsar Nicholas of Russia and his wife, Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna. Along with their imperial highnesses: Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna, Grand Duchess Tatiana Nikolaevna, and Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna. Accompanied by their spouses and children: Prince Igor Konstantinovich, Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich, Prince Vladimir Paley, the husband of the late Grand Duchess Maria Nikolaevna. Tsarevich Oleg Igorovich, Prince Alexei Igorovich, Prince Konstantine Igorovich, Prince Nicholas Igorovich, Princess Irina Dmitriaevna, Prince Dmitri Dmitrievich, and Princess Elisabeth Dmitriaevna."

We approached King George and Queen Mary with gentle smiles. We curtsied and shook their hands. Papa and George looked at each other for a moment and then chuckled as they embraced each other.

"Dearest Nicky, I am so glad you are here. It has been too long, dear cousin." George laughed.

"I agree. You have grown thinner. It seems I am still able to beat you in an arm wrestle.

"Ah, we will see about that. Do not become to cocky and egotistical, Nicky."

We moved behind them and waited for the rest of the families to come. It was amazing to see all of us together like this. The Romanians, Greeks, Italians, Swedish, Norwegian, and Yugoslavian came to us with large smiles and greetings. Now that we were all here, the photographer got his camera ready.

"Male monarchs stand in the back row, other men right below them, then the female monarchs, the woman right below them, and then the children." The photographer demanded. It took a good while to figure out where to go and how to stand. After a good ten-minutes, I found myself next to Queen Astrid of Belgium and Princess Royal Mary of the United Kingdom.

"Anastasia Nikolaevna, it has been too long since we have seen each other. I hope you still remember me." Astrid said with a wide smile.

"How could I forget, your majesty?" I smiled back at her.

"Oh please! Call me Astrid."

"You can simply call me Anastasia." I looked down at her very pregnant belly. "Oh, congratulations! How far along are you?"

"As of June, six-months. He has been my easiest pregnancy out of all three of my children. I know we do not know the sex, but I just know it is a boy. Oh Anastasia, you must come visit us in Belgium! I would absolutely love to have you with us. After the pregnancy, though. I will not be as moody and more fun. Oh my, I am so sorry, I am just rambling away."

I giggled. "It is alright. I do not mind at all. I have been stuck on a train with my family for three-days. It is nice to hear some other voices."

"One! Two! Three!" The photographer shouted loudly. I made a neutral face at the camera. Finally the camera shuttered and we all started to walk up the stairs. King George took us into the castle, and I gasped with the look of it. It was very beautiful inside with an old-Victorian look to it. It was a dark gothic look with stone-walls, an elegant chandelier, and dark floors. As we crowded into the main hall, King George walked up the stairs and stood proudly.

"I cannot tell you all again how thankful I am for you to be here. It is beautiful to see so many nations together like this. We are family. We are Europe. And that being said, for the rest of today, the servants here shall be giving tours of the castle. I will allow you all to settle in, and then there will be a dinner in the dining hall. And tomorrow morning, we shall be watching a parade with the French prime minister and his wife. To conclude my speech, each maid here has been assigned a room and will take care of you all for the rest of the stay. Thank you." King George nodded at us. We cheered for him and clapped our hands. I scanned the room and found that there were maids approaching others to escort them to their room. That is when a small girl of about seventeen appeared in front of me.

"Excuse me, are you her imperial highness Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna Romanova?" She said in a small British accent.

"Please, just call me Anastasia Nikolaevna. And what is your name?"

"Rose. Oh goodness, you are much more beautiful in person. Not that you are not beautiful in your photo, but you look very nice right now."

I weakly smiled. "Thank you, Rose. Will you show me to my room?" I started to walk away with her until someone randomly shouted at me.

"Excuse me, Ma'am! Ma'am!" A man shouted. I turned around to find a man standing there holding a bracelet. He was tall with deep brown-eyes, with cinnamon-brown hair color with a red tint and a few gray hairs. He had a limestone skin tone with rosy cheeks from the Summer. Though, he seemed older with some wrinkles around his eyes and mouth. He seemed utterly handsome to me.

"Hello, sir." I blushed.

"You dropped your bracelet. It was on the floor."

"Oh, I am such a mess today. Thank you." I smiled at him. The man then gently picked up my wrist and put the bracelet back on me. He looked into my eyes with a smirk before bringing my hand to his lips and kissing it. I slowly took my hand away and stroked his hand as I did. I looked him up-and-down before walking away. I had no idea who the man was, but I felt as if he was someone from a dream.