The Secret Child

Anastasia

I went into labor at 09:00 on February 3. I was settled in my bedroom and taken care of my Doctor Gedroits and the midwife. At first, the contractions were not awful. But soon, they became more and more painful for me. Olga and Tatiana came around 15:00 to support me through the evening and night. Vladimir moved in with my grandmother, surprisingly, and was not here yet.

"This is exciting! I cannot believe you will be a mother!" Olga exclaimed, putting a cold rag on my forehead.

"I am not truly a mother. I will give birth to her, and then give her away to an orphanage." I groaned.

"Oh, that does not stop you from being a mother. You will know that your child is out there somewhere."

"Olga, you are not helping me whatsoever."

Tatiana looked up from the book she was reading at my desk. "Anastasia, you are missing the point. A mother is a woman who gives birth to a child."

I shook my head. "That is not a mother. A mother is someone who cares for and loves the child. Simply because someone gave birth to a child does not make them a mother."

"Oh, you are so pessimistic. Have you always been this angry of a person?" Olga groaned at me.

"Yes, she has. Is it just me or is our childhood slowly becoming harder to remember? Ten-years ago, I remember everything that happened from when we were children. Now, I can hardly remember anything." Tatiana questioned.

"I cannot remember much either. I can hardly remember a time when I wasn't married to Igor and had children. I do remember Mitya though." Olga blushed.

Tatiana and I laughed. No one in the family could ever forget Mitya. During the Great War, Mitya was Olga's "boyfriend". She loved him so terribly that she wanted to marry him and runaway to the countryside. But shortly after the war ended, Olga received a letter that Mitya was betrothed to someone else. Olga was heartbroken, but got back up rather quickly.

"Mitya, oh Mitya." I mocked Olga. Tatiana and her laughed together again. The doors to the room opened and Mama walked in. She seemed tired and a bit disappointed. Which, she was always disappointed in me anymore.

"Shvybzik, how are you feeling?" Mama gently spoke.

"I am fine, Mama." I said irritated, but his aggravated by her presence honestly.

"You should take a walk. They will help the contractions."

"I'm fine right now, thank you."

"Moving around helps the baby."

I threw my head back. "My God, I do not wish to take a damn walk."

"Anastasia, that was so rude." Tatiana hissed at me. "Apologize to Mama. She simply wishes to help you."

I stayed quiet for a moment. I was not sorry. I did not feel like apologizing to anyone. I was aggravated and needed a friend. I needed Rebecca Brown. I needed Vladimir.

"When will Vladimir get here?" I muttered, looking down at my large belly.

"He telephoned sometime ago. Vladimir should be here anytime now."

"He needs to hurry. I wish to speak. Could you bring Rebecca Brown in?" I asked. Mama scoffed and walked out of the room. In the next minutes, Rebecca came in to see me. She sat down at the edge of the bed with a large smile.

"How are you holding up?" Rebecca asked.

"I am exhausted. Who knew labor could be so difficult?"

"Women. Are you thinking about names?"