The Spotlight

Anastasia

I sat in the Petrograd Opera House. Some of the ladies had went out to distribute the posters and tape them around the city. The other ladies who decided to stay at the opera house were to find books, paintings, etc. made by women. We would talk about them and hang mini posters about them around the city too. Unfortunately, there were still several times women who couldn't read so there weren't a lot of books chosen.

"Anastasia Nikolaevna, are you ever going to tell your father?" Rebecca asked.

"About what?"

"The ROOIW."

I scoffed. "Goodness no, he will be so angry with me."

"But the truth always comes out eventually." Rebecca shrugged. I looked over at her and rolled my eyes.

"You are one to talk. Just recently I found out about your true relation with Rasputin-"

She shushed me. "Quiet down! I do not wish for people to hear. And besides, you were so angry with me. For weeks even!"

"Yes, that's true," I giggled. "But then I realized it wasn't completely your fault. Father Grigori took part in this too. I am not like my mother, I see through people. Perhaps he isn't as good as an influence as I had originally thought."

"Please Anastasia Nikolaevna, don't thing that he doesn't care. He loves you and your family very much. Especially your parents and His Imperial Highness Tsarevich Alexei."

I nodded. "Believe me, I know. But that does not stop me from seeing Father Grigori differently now. I never knew he would take a mistress. And I'm surprised that you would agree to that!"

Rebecca shrugged. "Not all of us come from grand palaces and Faberge eggs. Father Grigori was willing to give me a home, and I'm thankful. Even if that meant I had to-"

"I have something for you." I heard someone whisper in my ear. Their warm breath against my ear made me shutter. I turned my heard and saw Makari Kuznetsov was back. He was sitting behind me. His hair was still wavy-and blond, with a small strand hanging over his forehead. Makari wore his usual brown-circular glasses and had those beautiful damn blue-eyes.

"My goodness! When did you get here?" I shrieked.

"Just now. Do you wanna see what I have?"

Rebecca stood up with a slight smirk. "I will excuse you both." She walked away from us. Makari then hung a thick paper in front of my face.

"What is this?" I asked.

"Flip to the back page."

"Why?"

"Are you always this combative? Just flip to the back." Makari groaned. I flipped to the back of the newspaper and there was a half-page dedicated to my group. The newspaper was titled: "The Rising Of Feminism In Our Russia."

I gasped. "Wow! An entire page?!"

"Yes, this paper will be distributed tomorrow morning. Everyone in Russia will be reading about the ROOIW. But I don't understand why you didn't want me to take-"

"My photo? I already told you. My husband doesn't know and wouldn't like it." I started to skim the page. I was a bit sad, however. Anastasia Voronova was getting all the credit for my work. And even though she was I, it still was a bit hurtful to not see my true name on that paper.

"What do you think?" Makari asked, clearing his throat.

"Well, you're not a total dimwit. You proved me wrong." I chuckled.

Makari sarcastically gave a chuckle back. "You're funny, Anastasia. You have no idea how hard I worked on this. So I hope you're content. Now, if you excuse me, I will go back to my job."

Makari stood up and started to walk away from me. For some reason, an overwhelming amount of guilt came over me. Why? Perhaps I had been a bit rude to him. I mean, did the ROOIW a large favor.

"Wait, Makari!" I shouted and went after him. He turned around with his eyebrows raised. It would be hard for me to thank him, since he was such a pain in the ass. However, I was willing to swallow my pride this time.

"Makari?"

"Yes?"

I held out my hand. "Thank you. I appreciate what you did for me."

He looked down and then up at me. "I love seeing you swallow your pride. But, you're welcome." He shook my hand. Makari weakly smiled at me and I smiled back.

"You should smile more. You look pretty when you smile." Makari nodded at me and let go of my hand. He turned and then walked away from me. I watched as he walked out the doors without looking back once.

You look pretty when you smile.

I put my fingers against my face. "Why do I feel so hot? That prick. Making idiotic comments to make me blush." I muttered under my breath.

I'm blushing.

"Ah, dammit." I groaned and started to walk back to my seat. Now, I had no interest in him whatsoever. Makari Kuznetsov was sneaky, sly, witty, and just rude. He tried to tell me all about the bourgeoisie, or whatever that is. And then he told me about how privileged I was. Oh, he was so rude!

Rebecca swiftly moved over to me. "Isn't that the reporter who is doing the story on us? He's incredibly handsome."

I snickered. "If that's what you define handsome, get have your eyes checked! Makari Kuznetsov is anything but handsome. And I am very glad that I never have to see him again."

Gradually, the women started to return from putting up posters all at once. I was about to end the meeting and tell everyone to go home. That was until a woman stood up on the stage. She had long blond-hair with light green-eyes.

"Everyone! Everyone, listen!" She kept shouting. Eventually, the room went quiet and everyone had their attention turned towards her. "My brother, Makari Kuznetsov, just did an article on the ROOIW. And now, he has asked to meet at a secret dance club in three-days time! And he has said that Anastasia is the one who gave him the idea!"

Everyone started to applaud and cheer. I rolled my eyes and just faked a smile.

"A secret club? That sounds unlike you." Rebecca furrowed her eyebrows.

"That is because I never gave him the idea! Oh, that sly fox." I muttered and crossed my arms.

"I wonder why it's a secret club?"

"I'm not sure, Rebecca. I suppose that is something we will have to find out."