Be My Friend

Tatiana

Returning to work has been one of the greatest decisions I have made. Though, the uniforms had actually changed a little bit. Our hair was tied back with a small-rag covering the top. The dresses were the same but they were raised from the floor to the middle of our shins. I was still adjusting to the outfits of the 1920s, but I liked the changes in society.

"I am so happy to see you back here, Tatiana Nikolaevna." An old woman smiled at me while holding my hand.

"Aw, thank you. I am happy to be back. We can speak later, now you must rest. Let me help you." I gently helped the woman lay back on her bed. I pulled the blanket over her. I grinned at her before walking away. I saw Anton walking up to me with a large smile on his face.

"Tatiana Nikolaevna, you should have told me how popular you were. I would have begged for you to come back awhile ago."

We both laughed at his comment. "If I had the choice, I would have come back a long while ago."

"Please, walk with me. I'd like to speak with you." Anton nodded. I agreed. Him and I ended up taking a walk just around the hospital. We walked past all the patients and eventually found ourselves outside. Anton and I walked around the sidewalks of Petrograd now.

"Tatiana Nikolaevna-"

"I think I know what you're going to say." I looked over at him. Anton furrowed his eyebrows as he walked with his hands behind his back.

"You do?"

"Yes. You are going to say that just because I am popular, does not mean that I know what I am doing. But Doctor Ivanov, I can assure you that I do know what I am doing. I will be great help in surgery. You can ask Doctor Gedroits and Doctor Botkin. They have been with my family for a long while and have watched my dedication."

Anton sighed. "Well, please. Just call me Anton. And as for what you said, that's not entirely untrue. Some of the other nurses have expressed their concern about you coming back."

"What have they said? I hope I have not offended anyone."

"Oh no, nothing like that. But they believe that because you are a Grand Duchess, that I and all the other doctors will favor you rather than them."

"That is not the intention. I wish to be treated equally, just like all the other nurses."

"I understand that, but there will be some advantages for you that the other women do not have. I do not believe you understand how large of a deal being the Tsar's daughter is."

"'How dare you? I know exactly how large of a deal it is! Do not think that I am spoiled and a brat. I have had my fair share of scolding and being told "No" growing up."' I shouted at him. Anton's face turned pink and he turned his face to look at me.

"You are right. I am sorry." Anton said in a soft tone.

"Well...I suppose it is alright. Anton, I am not afraid to get blood on my hands or help with amputations. I have done quite a bit of that during the Great War. So please, tell the other doctors and the other nurses that I am just like the others."

Anton nodded at me. "Very well. I shall see what I can do. But on the other hand, there was another thing that I wanted to speak about. It is about my father."

"Oh, I hope he loved that pillows and blankets! I can send more if you want." I smiled. Anton just weakly smiled at me.

"He did, greatly. However, he does ask you for a favor."

"What is it?"

"He wants to know if you will send him a photo of you, your husband, and your baby together. My father wishes to remember his greatest friend."

"I am his greatest friend?"

"His words, not mine." Anton smirked and shrugged. I chuckled at him and nodded.

"Yes, I would be more than happy to send a photo of our formal portrait. Once I have the time, I would love to visit your father. Your father is probably the most adorable man I have ever known."

"I will make sure to tell him that. Come on, we should probably go back to the hospital. And don't worry, I think you're doing a great job."

Anton and I chatted a little more as we walked back to the hospital. Even though he was my boss, I had a feeling that we would also be good friends.