It Wasn't Meant To Be

Olga

On my way to breakfast, I ran into Nina Georgievna. My stomach dropped every time I saw her now. I felt guilty for what had happened, but more guilty since Igor still hasn't told her the truth yet. She expects him to propose when he does not have an intention to anymore.

"Olga, do you think my dress looks nice today?" Nina asked.
"Yes, it's a very beautiful color."
"Good. I am trying to impress Igor."
I frowned. "Dear Nina, do not try to hard to fight for his attention."
Nina scoffed. "You sound like my mother." Nina grinned and started to walk down the stairs. I was getting ready to follow her until somebody called out my name.
"Pst, Olga!" Igor whispered as he called out to be from down the hall. I smirked at him quickly walked to where he was. Igor took no time but to wrap his arms around me and kiss me.

"Igor! What if someone sees?" I gasped.
"Then let them. I've waited three-years for this." Igor kissed again. But I quickly pushed him away.
"My darling, you must tell Nina."
"I know. I simply do not know how without breaking her heart."
"I hate to hurt someone's feelings because of my own happiness." Igor took my hands and looked me deeply in the eyes.
"Olga, I love you. I never did anything because you told me you didn't feel the same. But now you do and now we can be happy."
I gave a wan smile. "I would like to truly be with you. But you must tell Nina and cut off the flirtation with her. It's the only way."
——————————————————————————
Igor

I waited until after breakfast to tell Nina. She had gone off immediately afterwards to sit by the lake at Alexander Park and skip rocks. I walked out there to her. I plopped myself down right next to Nina on the grass. She looked very beautiful this morning.

"Hey Nina." I said. She smiled at me.
"Hey Igor."
"What are you doing?"
"I'm skipping rocks. My father and I used to do this all the time when I was young." Nina giggled and skipped another rock. For a moment, she seemed sad and her smile slightly faded.
"You have yet to see him. Maybe it's time you should." I shrugged at her.
Nina sighed. "I know-I know. I just will not know what to say to him. It has been five-years since we've seen each other. Oh, how I've missed Russia."
Nina leaned her head back so the sun would hit her face better. I just stared at her, trying to find the courage to tell her what I had to say.

"Nina...I think it's time you and Xenia went to see your father." I quietly said. But she obviously heard me. Nina leaned her head down and furrowed her eyebrows at me.
"What? What do you mean?"
"I meant...I think you should be spending time with your father before you return to England and less time with me."
Nina scoffed. "I'm sorry if I had the wrong impression. But, I thought you fancied me."
"I do! I mean, I did," I sighed. "However, I have been in love with someone else for a very long time. And they just recently told me that they returned the same feelings for me. I hope to marry her one day." I gulped. Tears form in Nina's eyes as she just stared down at the grass. I hated the fact I have hurt her feelings.

"So that's it, huh?" Nina grinned. "You and Olga Nikolaevna are in love and will get married."
I furrowed my eyebrows. "I never said I was in love with Olga Nikolaevna."
Nina tilted her head to the side. "You didn't have to."

I didn't say another word to her. Nina and I just sat there in silence as we skipped more rocks.
——————————————————————————
Hello everyone! I just want you all to know that maybe every once in a while, I will do a POV outside of the OTMA. For instance, in this chapter we get to see Igor's view. That's all! Happy you're enjoying!