An Unexpected Turn Of Events

Maria

A large dinner was planned by Papa. Lamb, pelmeni, salad, bread, borscht, and several other foods to choose from. The dinner was Anastasia's idea to have it set up in the "American way", which meant that we could each choose what we wanted and the footmen and what not did not have to serve it to us. We could just choose what we wanted. It was very odd, but I was willing to try it. And so we did. And honestly, it made things quite easy on us.

"How is your head, Dmitri?" I asked him.

"It hurts a bit. I had to get a few stitches, but no true damage. Anastasia already apologized and even wrote a small poem to apologize."

"That's awfully sweet of her." Olga snickered.

"I am a sweet person...sometimes." Anastasia replied.

Vladimir suddenly cleared his throat. "Your Majesty, I must ask. What do you think about the situation in the Weimar Republic? Their socialist ideals and what not."

"Well...it is sad to see how the country is going. Germany used to be a productive and beautiful country. Now, it is full of tragedy. I often wonder how cousin Willy is doing." Papa sighed.

Mama put her hand on his shoulder. "You should not. He betrayed you, Nicky. Do not forget that. You trusted him, and he abandoned you. He deserves to be lonely in The Netherlands."

"I know, Sunny. It is still a bit painful, however. I loved my cousin."

There was a short silence. I looked over at Vladimir and gave him a disappointed look, letting him know that it was a foolish question to ask. I did not like it when Vladimir brought up politics, he knew this.

"I apologize. I should not have brought up a sensitive topic." Vladimir mumbled.

"Yes, you really should not have." Dmitri replied to him.

"Papa! I was wondering something. Could we decorate the Christmas tree? Vladimir and I do it at our home every year and we love it." I smiled, quickly changing the subject.

Papa gave a puzzled look. "You don't let your maid do it?"

"No, it is something Volodya and I look forward to every year." I looked over at Vladimir grabbed his arm. "We also make Christmas cookies and go caroling in Nantes with the peasants. It is so fun."

"You both make we want to barf." Anastasia gagged. Mama shot her a dirty look, to which Anastasia went quiet and hid a her smirk. Vladimir gave a small smile back at her.

"Sure, Mashka. That can be an activity we all do." Papa smiled. "Besides, it may be a new tradition this family follows."

Tatiana smiled widely. "Christmas shall be fun this year. We can go to the Cathedral and open gifts in the morning. Then, we can play in the snow with the children and eat some baked goods."

"Oh, how sweet! Imagine all the photo we will take!" Olga exclaimed. "Igor, we must get several photos of you and the children."

"Yes, Olenka. But we must also get some photos of you and I."

"Of course, my darling."

Anya Vyrubova laughed. "I will get so many photos of all of you. As I always do. I often look through the photos of the Grand Duchesses and how they went from babies to beautiful young women. I am so grateful to have had the privilege to watch you all grow up."

"Oh, you are our dearest friend! Thank you for being with us." Anastasia smiled, and then raised her cup. "To being with family and friends."

We all raided our cups along with her. "To being with family and friends." We touched cups with each other and the drank a little wine. For more time, we all spoke about memories and told jokes. I do not believe I had laughed so hard in the longest time. It was no amazing to be back in Russia with my family and friends. I was having such a delightful visit that I hoped would never end.

But the suddenly, I felt a small and weird feeling in my stomach. It felt ticklish and slightly painful. My first instinct was that the baby was becoming upset my food or something. When this happened, I typically retired early.

"I am sorry, everyone. But I must skip out on the games for tonight." I groaned and stood up from my chair. "It seems that the baby has become a little upset. I will say goodnight now."

Olga immediately stood up too. "Mashka, I will walk you upstairs."

"Olishka, I am fine."

"I am not taking that for an answer. Everyone, I shall be back down for games in a bit. Let me get Maria upstairs."

I weakly smiled. "Fine. Goodnight, my love." I bent and kissed Vladimir's cheek. He turned and pecked me on the lips quickly.

"Goodnight, Lilas." Vladimir said quietly.

Olga held my arm the whole time as I walked up the stairs. I did not know why, but the ticklish and odd feeling was still in my tummy. This was not a usual feeling I had felt. But then, there was a sudden feeling that made me stop in the middle of the hallway.

"Maria, are you alright?" Olga furrowed my eyebrows.

My heart began to race. "Olga...I think the baby is coming."

"No, the baby does not come for another month."

"Well, it's coming now. Oh God-"

Olga cupped my face in her hands. "You are fine. You are here at Alexander Palace with your family and amazing doctors. Come on, let's get you to bed. I will call for Doctor Botkin and the family."

"But what if everything is not fine? Then what?" I panted. I suddenly remembered the appointment with Doctor Gedroits about one-year-ago. If the baby was too early, would they live?

"But everything will be fine. You just need faith that God will protect you." Olga weakly smiled and took my arm. "Like I said, let's get you to bed."