The Morning Dew

Vladimir

I awoke early in the morning that Tuesday around 05:30. Unfortunately, I could not fall back asleep and was forced to stay awake. I dressed myself into my classic Romanov suit. I distracted myself by reading, but I could not stop thinking about Paul. I missed him terribly. But I was sure that we having much fun with his paternal family, which he did not spend enough time with. And he still had Sneg with him. However, apart of me still felt guilty for leaving him in Russia while I went to France.

I decided to go outside and take a walk around the land of the area. I stayed on the pavement area and watched the ocean move below us. The beach looked so peaceful in the morning. I stopped for a moment and stared at it. I took a deep breath, allowing the smell of the beach to take me. I remembered how much Maria loved the beaches here in France. Her and I tried to visit as much as possible. She would bring her paints and canvas as she painted the beach. I would bend down, kiss her neck, and whisper different things in French. I did not know why, but being back in France made me think of her so much.

Suddenly, I heard a dog barking loudly. A young woman was shrieking. I looked over and saw that what I heard was right.

"Grab him! Please sir, grab him!" The woman shouted. I quickly jogged over and grabbed the small, fluffy, white dog. The woman stopped and laughed as she took him from me. "Oh God, thank you. He takes off running when I stop for one cigarette. He thinks he is sneaky, but he is just a pest. Isn't that right, Hristo?" The woman giggled in a thick accent. She looked up at me and I finally got a look at her face.

"I am happy to help, ma'am." I nodded. She set her dog down on the ground, but clearly holding his leash tightly. The woman took her hat off. She had wavy-short brown-hair, tan skin, and light blue-eyes. She looked vaguely familiar, but I could not remember her name.

"You cannot remember who I am, can you?" She giggled again.

"I am sorry, no." I smiled back.

"I am Princess Eudoxia of Bulgaria. And you?"

"Prince Vladimir Paley, your imperial highness." I bowed at her. For some reason, she laughed again.

"Russians are so formal and for what? Your personalities match your palaces and Faberge eggs. Please, call me Eudoxia. We are family."

"Then...you can call me Vladimir."

"It is lovely to make your acquaintance, Vladimir. Well, if you have nothing else to do, you can join me in my walk. Help me make sure Hristo does not run away again?" Eudoxia laughed. I gave a small chuckle and came to her side. She put her hat back on and we started walking again. Immediately, she started asking me several questions.

"So, Vladimir, I must know. How are you related to the Tsar if your last name is Paley?"

"I married his daughter. I am the husband of Maria Nikolaevna."

Eudoxia gasped. "Oh, right. I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine how difficult it was for you." My Lilas has been gone for nearly six-years, and I am still having people apologize for her death. Perhaps that was something I am still getting used to.

"It was difficult for a long time. Maria was my truest love, and always will be. But there comes a time in your life when you must accept that no matter how much you cry and pray to God: the deceased is never coming back. So I learned to adapt without her."

"Does it still hurt?"

"Yes, a little bit. There are some moments when I forget she is not there anymore. But I find her in my son's eyes. Whenever I look in his eyes, I find a glimpse of us."

"I forgot you had a son. What is his name?"

"Paul."

"I like that name." Eudoxia smiled, and then it quickly faded. "I apologize. I realize that been asking so many rude questions about your late wife as if I am some sort of admirer! No, a stalker!"

I chuckled. "No, it is fine. If I'm being completely honest, this is the most I've talked about Maria in the last year. As more time goes by, I feel myself thinking about her less and less."

"That is good. It means you are healing your heart. "

There was a short moment of silence between us. I had not yet made-up my mind about what I thought of Eudoxia. She was outgoing and a bit nosey, but seems like the kind of woman that loves to laugh. I liked her smile.

"What about you? What is your story?"

"I do not really have much of a story. I am the First Lady of Bulgaria, at least until my brother marries this Autumn. I am thirty-two and unmarried-"

"And why is that?" I asked.

She scoffed at me. "I did not realize you were the interrupting cow in every joke!"

"Oh, I apologize. Go on."

"I am unmarried because I wish to marry a Bulgarian man, but that is just not allowed. And no man has ever managed to sweep me off of my feet, so I am living my life the best I can. Oh Vladimir, I have a confession to make."

"Hm?"

"I have read all of your books. I love your poetry immensely. Will you publish again?"

I shook my head. "Maria was my muse. Since she died, I never had any inspiration to write again. I am officially retired from poetry."

"That is a shame. I wished to tell all of my friends back home that I met thee Vladimir Paley and got to read his unpublished works."

I chuckled. "You are going to have to work much harder to do that."

"I am willing to try. I can be very persuasive, your serene highness."

Eudoxia and I both shared another laugh. We walked down the dirt path of the castle to the wooded area in front of us, which I assumed we would turn around once we got to the edge. She said things in Bulgarian to her dog and laughed to herself a few times. I had no idea what she was saying, but she thought it was rather hilarious.

"My goodness, what are you saying?" I laughed.

"Oh, nothing. Learn Bulgarian and then we can speak about it."

"Are you challenging me?"

"Yes. And in return...I will learn Russian. Do we have a deal?"

"Fine. I am willing to play your game."

Suddenly, there was a man shouting up the path. He stood proudly as he shouted in Bulgarian. I recognized him right away as Tsar Boris III of Bulgaria. I had heard he was a handsome one, and I could see why. She was quite tall with dark features. As he came jogging down the path and up to us, I immediately bowed at him.

"Your majesty-"

"I am sorry, Prince Paley. My sister does not understand that not everyone is a morning-person." Boris said in a tone that sounded like a father scolding his daughter.

"Oh Boris, you try to sound so mature and responsible when you are just an idiot." Eudoxia rolled her eyes. Boris laughed and then took the leash from her. He looked back at me with a weak smile.

"Say, you are much more handsome in your photograph than in person."

"I could say the same with you, sir."

Boris laughed and nodded. "You and I are going to be great friends, Prince Paley. I just know it. Come along, Eudoxia. We have some business to discuss before breakfast."

She looked at me with a grin. "Thank you for the conversation, Vladimir. I hope to do it again soon."

"Me too, ma'am." I bowed at her. Eudoxia and Boris walked away with each other. I could not help but watch her walk away. I still could not comprehend how I felt about her. Eudoxia seemed so sudden like a firework. But once she left, I could not get her off my mind for the rest of the day.