Engagement Issues

Tatiana

I worked at the hospital one afternoon. It had only been two-days since Igor came home, but so much has happened. Nina and Xenia Georgievna will be visiting the palace once Papa returns. Which, I'm sure will not be easy for Olga. Yesterday was Maria's twentieth-birthday, but we did not do much. We simply had cake and she received a few gifts. But Maria was so thrilled when she received a letter from Vladimir. Her crush on him is so very intense.

I walked around adjusting the pillows on everyone's beds and giving them more blankets. The people in the hospital liked me immensely and loved me. I loved each of them too and prayed for their health every night. As I was walking to another bed, Doctor Ivanov quickly caught up to me.
"Tatiana Nikolaevna!"
I smiled. "Hello, Doctor Ivanov. How are you doing this afternoon?"
"Oh, I'm just hanging in there. Are your wedding plans going well?"
I nodded. "Very well. Oh, I know you are not a Romanov but it would mean the world to me if you came! At least to the wedding, and then you could go home."
He shook his head and looked down at his feet. "I'm sure his majesty will not like that."
"I love Papa, but this is my wedding and I want anyone I want to be there. Doctor Ivanov, I consider you a friend. If that's alright."
Doctor Ivanov looked up at me and gave a wide grin. He was so old with wrinkly skin and balding white hair, but he was so adorable and sweet.

"You're way too kind, Tatiana. But I do not want the wedding to be how we say goodbye."
I furrowed my eyebrows. What did he mean by that? I had no intention of leaving after I got married.
"I'm sorry, Doctor Ivanov. I'm afraid I do not understand."
"Well, his imperial highness came by the hospital a few days ago. Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich said that you would not have time for the hospital after you were married. You'd be too busy performing your wifely duties." He gulped. I started to become hot. The fact I did not know Dmitri had done this made me terribly angry. I wanted to continue to be a nurse and help people, even after I got married.
"I see. I'm sure it was just a miscommunication. I am not leaving your work, I promise."
Doctor Ivanov widely smiled. "I am very happy to hear it. We all admire you, Tatiana Nikolaevna. All of us."

After changing into my everyday clothes and going back home, I saw Dmitri sitting in the main sitting room on the sofa. He smiled up at me and stood up. Dmitri approached me and tried to hug me, but I backed away.
"Tatiana, is everything alright?" He asked, furrowing his eyebrows. I snarled at him.
"Did you tell Doctor Ivanov that I was leaving his work because of my 'widely duties?'" I crossed my arms. Dmitri sighed and looked down at his feet.
"I thought that once we got married, we should try and have children as soon as possible."
"Why?"
"Because I want a family. I know you do too."
"Yes, I do. But Dmitri, I still want to be a nurse. I can have children and have my work. Our children can have a governess to help raise them."
Dmitri took my hands. He was now looking me in the eyes with a very serious look that almost concerned me.
"I understand that, but I would like you home at least until they are five or six. You simply will not have time for nursing."
I scoffed and let go of his hands. "And where would you be in all of this as I devote my life to this family you've created in your head?"
"Well, I'll be helping with the Russian military," Dmitri nodded. "I'll spend my nights home with you and the children."
This irritated me immensely. I know most women abandoned their work once they married, but I did not want to. I loved being a nurse and helping people. Dmitri just could not understand that no matter how much I explained that.

"Listen, I would not mind staying home for the first year after having a baby. But I will not sit in the palace for the rest of my life. I will be a nurse and continue to help the people. And as my soon-to-be-husband, you will need to accept that." I took his hands. He exhaled deeply and looked me in my eyes. Dmitri and I weakly smiled at each other.
"Alright Tatya, I will try and at least get used to the idea of you working and being a lady of the 20th century." Dmitri grinned. I giggled and let go of his hands. He leaned in and whispered in my ear.
"Is it too intimate to kiss you right now?"
"Oh, I'm not sure. I suppose you will just have to find out."
Dmitri moved his face and pecked my lips. I furrowed my eyebrows at him and crossed my arms.
"Do you call that a kiss, Mr. Pavlovich? Because no woman should ever marry you if that is how you kiss her."
Dmitri chuckled. "I was trying to be polite. But if that's how you feel then-" He just leaned in a kissed me again. It was so wonderful to be able to be like this him. Having Dmitri as a husband would be my greatest gift. I cannot wait for January 1920, when I am finally the wife of Dmitri Pavlovich.