Small Changes

Anastasia

I laid in bed and read the newspaper. Maria sat in the bed across the room. She had a canvas and easel next to the bed along with a plate of paint and paintbrushes. Maria had always been very talented at painting and drawing much more than the rest of us.
"Oh! How interesting!" I gasped.
"What is it it, Nastya?"
"The women's rights movement in America. They mentioned something about it in the paper today."
"What's the women's rights movement?"
"Apparently, American women are protesting for the right to vote and President Wilson has announced that he made a bill for it."
Maria seemed taken aback but still continued to paint. "Do not be ridiculous. Only men are allowed to vote and take part in government."
I shrugged. "Obviously Americans are tired of it being that way. I think it's amazing. They are referring to them as...feminists. Oh Maria, I think I am a feminist!" I exclaimed.
"Don't let Papa hear you say that," Maria grinned. "He would have a heart attack and die on the spot he stands."
I stood up and groaned. I started to pace around the room. The women's rights movement sounded amazing and true. Women are just as capable as men. But here in Russia, would Papa and other government officials allow such things to be said? Surely not.
"Mashka, I am just so tired of women being told that all they need to do in life is get married and have as many babies as possible! Wouldn't it be wonderful if we too could travel and have jobs? I can see it now! I'll be an actress living in Paris or London! I'll be in all the silent films!"
Maria laughed. "Anastasia, you can't have that. Not because you are a woman. But you cannot have that because you are a grand duchess. The youngest daughter to the Tsar of Russia."
I had liked the idea of becoming an actress. Even at five-years-old, I thought it would be so interesting to be performing and entertaining people. But my parents and siblings always told me I couldn't. And I knew I couldn't, but I also knew I did not want to get married at twenty like other women.
"I know. But the thought is nice though." I plopped back down on to my bed and sighed. Maria sighed with me and gave a wan smile.
"Do you want a canvas and easel too? We can paint together."
I scoffed. "No, I am good. But what are you painting over there anyway?"
"A painting for Papa for Christmas."
"Oh, but Christmas isn't until the 7th. I'm still getting used to the new change in using the Gregorian Calendar rather than the Julius."
"Well, Papa did say we needed to modernize Russia more. The Orthodox holidays shall stay under the Julius Calendar but the other days will be under the Gregorian."
I glanced back at the newspaper. I saw the photo of a woman on the section with the international news. It was a young woman by the name of Alice Paul. She was the leader of this movement.

Later that night just before bed, I had finished my bath before Maria. I changed into my nightgown and laid in bed waiting for her so I could turn the lamp off. But that's when it hit me.
I could write a letter to Alice Paul.
If she responded, she could help me promote feminism here in Russia. It would be a nice thing to have here in this country. I leaped up from my desk and sat down. I pulled out a sheet of paper and my fountain pen. I started to write in the best English I could.

"Dear Ms. Paul,
Hello, my name is Anastasia Nikolaevna and I live here in St. Petersburg, Russia. I am the youngest daughter of Tsar Nicholas and Tsarina Alexandra. There had been a column about your work here in the newspaper. You and the brave women that stood by your side have inspired me. I would like to promote feminism and women's rights here in Russia and among the Romanovs. I'm sure you look at the absolute monarchy and think there is no democracy for the people. But on the contrary, my father has done a very well job but it has been so difficult on him especially since the Great War. The Russian people remain loyal to us, but the world is changing and they must see that the people who rule over them see that. If you could write me soon and tell me the small things I could do to help my beautiful nation, that would be much appreciated. Oh, and I wish for you to not tell anyone that I have written to you. I have not exactly told my family that I share liberal views like you.

Sincerely,
Anastasia Nikolaevna"

Maria walked through the door in a bathrobe. I folded my letter and put it into an envelope. I had a lighter at the desk so I lit a candle that sit on the desk and put a spoonful of cold wax over it.
"Who in the world are you writing to?" Maria asked.
I lied quickly. "Um...Cousin Irina. I want to know how Bebe is doing."
"Since when have you cared about children?" Maria snickered and slid the nightgown on.
"Since now!" I shouted. At that moment, Olga and Tatiana walked into our room. They had visible faces of confusion. Tatiana walked over and hugged Maria. Olga walked over to my side. I took the hot wax and poured it over the envelope. I quickly stamped it shut.

"Who are you writing to?" Olga furrowed her eyes.
"Cousin Irina."
"Why?"
"I want to know how Bebe is doing." I shrugged. Olga started to laugh.
"Since women have you ever cared about children?"
Maria raised her arms up. "That's what I said and she got angry at me for it! If you ask me, she's hiding something."
I stood up out of anger and pounced at Maria. Olga held me back and Tatiana stepped in front of Mashka.
"I'll show you what I've been hiding, Maria! Come over here!" I yelled.
"Anastasia Nikolaevna! This is unacceptable behavior! If I was your mother, I'd slap you!" Tatiana pointed her finger at me.
"Well, I guess it is a good thing that you are not my mother." I raised my eyebrows. Tatiana crossed her arms.
"No, no, I am not. Goodnight Maria." Tatiana kissed her head and glared at me as she exited out of my room. Olga kissed my head and then kissed Maria's. Once they both left the room and shut the door, Maria gave me a puzzled look and shook her head at me.
"Just be careful, Nastya. I understand that you see things in this world differently than the rest of us. But I love you and I would not want you to get into trouble."
I sighed and got into bed. I laid my head and and quickly turned off my lamp. I didn't want to hear another word out of Maria or anyone for that matter. All I wanted was a letter back from Alice Paul.