Say Yes To Me

Vladimir

I sat on a bench in the garden of the castle. The garden was full of flowers, trees, bushes, and even veggies. The garden was beautiful and it was peaceful because there were no disturbances. I was able to write my poems peacefully in the quietness of the garden. I needed a short break my from sister-in-laws hovering over me. I also needed a break my parents-in-law as well. The day was warm with a breeze and I wished to enjoy it.

"Guess who?" I heard Eudoxia's voice say as her hands slid over my eyes.

"Hm...the President of the United States?" I joked. Eudoxia giggled and then sat next to me on the bench.

"What are you doing?"

"I am writing poems."

"Really? Let me see." She tried to grab at my journal. I moved it away and shut it before she could. Eudoxia scoffed and shook her head. "Unbelievable, Prince Paley. I am the one who encouraged you to write again and I cannot even see the poems?"

"Do not take it personally, but it is a secret only for me. You will see them when it is published." I shrugged. Eudoxia smirked at me and raised her chin up.

"I see how it is. And to think, we were going to be 'special' friends."

"Special? How so?"

"Oh, you know. Special." Eudoxia leaned into me. We shared some flirtatious smiles. It was a sweet moment apart of me wished to kiss her right then and there. But we were rudely interrupted.

"Eudoxia! Eudoxia!" A man screamed out in a Bulgarian accent. A face of panic overcame Eudoxia and she grabbed my hand. She pulled me up and started dragging me. We ducked low as we ran away from the man.

"Eudoxia, what is going on?" I whispered to her as we hid behind a bush.

"It's my brother, Kiril. Hristo sort of ate a government project he was working on. I panicked and ran out of there."

I gasped. "So the dog quite literally ate his homework?"

"When I find you, I am going to kill that mutt!" He actually said in English. Kiril's voice came closer to us. Suddenly, his head peeked over the bushes at us. "There, do not hide! How old are we?"

"Кирил, остави ни на мира. Христо не е сгрешил." Eudoxia spoke in Bulgarian. Now I had no idea what she said, but she sounded so beautiful just speaking her native language. If I needed a reason to like her, her beauty and pride was it.

"Той ми изяде документите! Трябваше да го предам за проект, когато се върнахме!" Kiril screamed back.

"О, това все пак беше глупав проект! Единственото нещо, за което трябва да се тревожиш, е ръстът ти, жалко джудже!" Eudoxia screamed back. Boris walked outside then and there with a concerned look on his face. He approached us and put a hand on Kiril's shoulder.

"Do not argue in front someone who does not speak Bulgarian. Let's be kind and speak English or French, languages we both know."

"Her mangy mutt ate my papers! He should be kicked!" Kiril yelled.

"I will help you, then. Eudoxia, apologize for Hristo."

Eudoxia crossed her arms. "I am sorry, Kiril."

"Good, now come on inside. I am sorry for this, Prince Paley." Boris grinned. Kiril scoffed and moved Boris' hand off of him.

"He is just a pathetic Russian anyway! Does he know Dickie Mountbatten is arriving tonight?" And when he said, my heart dropped. I prayed to God I would never see Dickie again as last time I saw him, he nearly attempted to kill me. My smile faded and I lost my breath for a moment. All I needed was to avoid him for the next month, which was nearly impossible. But if there's a will, there's a way.