Here We Are Again (Season 6 Premiere)

Olga
October 1929

It is freezing outside. Typically, it is not this cold until December. The snow is piled up and white owls can be seen in the forest behind the mansion. All four of my boys are sick with strep throat. Oleg got it the worst. And yes, four boys.

My youngest child, Nicholas, was born on February 1, 1928. After his birth, I suffered a small postpartum hemorrhage. But unlike my dear sister Maria, I survived it. The midwife informed me that my body would not be strong enough to handle another child. It was highly disappointing to me, as I wished for more children and at least one daughter. But I was alright with five boys. Four here physically, and one here spiritually.

Who knows what happened to Anastasia and Charolette? Anastasia kept her promise that we would never hear from her again. We know that she did not return to Hollywood, as there was a news article that said: "ANASTASIA JOHNSON FOUND DEAD IN HOTEL". The article claimed she overdosed on pills. Which for all we know, Anastasia is dead and did die of a drug overdose. But it seemed unlikely to me, as she had Cheryl and loved her so much.

Vladimir and Paul moved back to Tsarkoye Selo. They lived in their small house next to the Alexander Palace. Dear Babushka died on October 13, 1928, over a year ago. In her will, she left quite the fortune for Paul once he turned eighteen. A fortune the rest of her great-grandchildren did not receive. My Babushka was happy in her finally days with Vladimir and Paul. In my eyes, she died a happy woman.

Papa feels eternally guilty. He believed we were protecting her and giving her what was best. But that ended horribly and Anastasia leaving our family forever. Mama fell into a depression again and ate like a bird. My poor Papa and Mama, what they did was horribly wrong, but the intentions were good.

I rested my hand on Oleg's forehead. "You are still warm. I think you should take a cold bath to bring down your temperature."

"No! I do not want to!" Oleg groaned and pulled the blanket over himself.

"Oleg, do not make this complicated for me. Take a bath."

"I said no! I just want a cold cloth on my forehead and I shall be fine!" Oleg shouted at me.

"Do not shout at me. I will have Stephanie prepare a bath for you, and that is final."

"How come Lyokha, Kostya, and Nicky don't have to take a bath?"

"Because they do not have high fevers. You are the only one who does. Now, get out of bed and head to the bathroom. I will not tell you twice."

Oleg groaned as he jumped down from his bed. He whined as he walked out of the room and down the hall. After I watched Oleg walk into the bathroom, I made my way to Lyokha's and Kostya's bedroom. Oleg had his own room, along with Nicky. But Lyokha and Kostya shared a room, to which they did not mind.

"How are my little ones?" I whispered as I opened the door to their bedroom. Lyokha shot you from the bed and held his arms out.

"Mama, I want a hug!" Lyokha cried out.

"I am sorry, baby. But you are sick and I do not wish to become sick either. Wait a couple days, and then I shall give you all the hugs I can." I weakly smiled. Though, Lyokha was very disappointed and laid back down.

"'Mama, can you read us a story? Perhaps "Goldilocks and The Three Bears"?"' Kostya grabbed the book from his nightstand and held it out to me. Lyokha moaned and shot up from his bed again.

"'No, Kostya! I want "The Reluctant Dragon"! We've already read your story so many times!"

"My boys," I said in a calm voice. "I can read both stories. Do not fret."

"I can also read." A voice said. I turned around and Igor was standing in the doorway with a grin. I smiled at him and walked up to him, kissing his cheek.

"Ew! Gross!" Lyokha gagged and pulled the blanket over his head. Igor chuckled and walked over to Lyokha's bed, ripping the blanket off of him. Lyokha just giggled and leaned up. Igor bent down and kissed the top of his head.

"How are you feeling?" Igor asked.

"I am better today, Papa."

"Good," Igor took his attention to Kostya's bed and walked over to him. "And how is this little one?"

"Papa, read us a story." Kostya smiled widely.

"Shut it, Kostya! Mama reads stories much better than Papa!" Lyokha shouted.

"Lyokha, be nice. Do not say things like that to your brother." I scolded him. Igor kissed the top of Kostya's head as well. He leaned up and looked at me.

"Where are Oleg and Nicky?"

"Oleg is taking a cold bath to try and bring down his temperature. Nicky was asleep last time I check."

"Good. I spoke with Vladimir this morning. He wishes for us to have dinner soon."

"Ah, that is a good idea! It has been-"

Suddenly, a footman came into the room holding a silver platter. He stood tall but had panic in his face. I gave a puzzled expression as I walked up to him.

"What is it?" I asked.

"A telegram, ma'am. From the Tsar. He claimed it was an emergency."

"Emergency? Oh Goodness." I gasped and took the telegram. I opened it up and read it slowly. Something awful must have happened. Papa would usually telephone when something like this happened.

"Dear Olenka and Igor,
There is a financial crisis. The stock market in the United States has crashed. I am not sure how much damage has been done. I am unable to telephone due to consistent telephone calls from ministers and officials. Come to Alexander Palace if you have the chance. Or telegram.

Love, Papa."

"My God, the stock market has crashed!" I gasped and threw my hand over my mouth.

Igor came to my side. "The stock market? Where?"

"America! Papa did not say much. We should retrieve the radio and listen to it. We should listen to the British channel. Or America's, if it is possible."

"How much damage has been done to the Russian economy?"

"I am not sure. But I am sure we shall find out soon enough. When the boys become well again, will have to go to the Alexander Palace. Papa asked us too."

Igor shook his head. "No, they want you and the boys to go. Your family still has not forgiven me for what happened that night."

"Can you blame them, Igor? You got very drunk and drove Anastasia away. She was finally back here in Russia and grieving Josiah. And all of that is ruined now. You understand why my parents are angry with you, correct?" I scoffed.

"Yes, I know. I take for responsibility for what happened that night. But it has been two years now. Anastasia was not happy here in Russia. And we shouldn't have covered up Josiah's death in the first place. The truth was going to come out eventually."

"It does not matter now. What matters now is taking care of Russia and its future. Protecting Romanov rule. Anastasia isn't a part of that anymore. As far as it goes, Anastasia does not exist anymore. She's gone. It's almost like she is dead."

"And if she were to come back to Russia? What would happen then?"

I shook my head in disagreement. I set the telegram on top of Lyokha's dresser and walked over to his bedside. I sat down at the end of the bed.

"She won't come back. When Anastasia makes a promise, she keeps it. I don't believe we'll ever see her again."