The Castle In France (Season 7 Premiere)

Olga
May 1930

June was approaching with the hot Summer ahead. We were thinking about going back to Livadia Palace for the Summer. I enjoyed the idea and thought of going shopping for some new swimsuits for the boys since they'd out grown the last ones. All four of them were growing up very fast. They were all deep in their studies in English and French.

Anastasia and Cheryl adjusted to being back the Alexander Palace. After telling her fake tale to the press, they would not stop bothering our family for months. The Russian people adored their Grand Duchess for her kindness and bravery. I wondered what they would think when they found out Cheryl was the daughter of Anastasia's love affair with an American-Jewish actor. Of course, no one would ever know and this was going to be a secret for the rest of our lives. We were living in the present. And in my most honest opinion: Anastasia was very lonely.

Dmitri and Tatiana healed up from their injuries fairly quickly. Without the hospital and Anton Ivanov, Tatiana fell into a deep sadness. And it did not help that Dmitri fell into his old ways of messing around with ballerinas. Which truly meant that went back to Veronika Vinogradova, the young ballerina. However, my sister did not care anymore. Being without Anton Ivanov was a greater pain for her than her own husband having a love affair. Now, I do not support such behavior or gossip. But I believe, and perhaps I always shall, that Tatiana loved Anton more than she ever could love Dmitri. Tatiana was too good of a person to act on the love had for Anton. However, I will only remain skeptical.

Vladimir and Paul were doing well too. Them and their little dog, Sneg, lived happily in that little house just down the path. The anniversary of Maria's death was coming up in December. It was difficult to believe she passed away six-years-ago. And in June, her thirty-first birthday would come. It would be a sad day for all of us. And even though my parents tell me not to pressure him: I wished Vladimir would remarry. All of the photos in his home are of him and Paul. Then there are the few with Maria as well. I worry so much that my dear brother-in-law was so lonely. I also disliked the idea of Paul growing up without a mother. But I was willing to leave it alone.

As for my family, we were alright. After intense physical and emotional therapy for the last six-months, Igor was finally able to walk with a cane. Not long distances, but he was making amazing progress. Him and I were able to mend our marriage and we were happy again. Last month, we had a formal family portrait that turned out very nice. In our sitting room, that family portrait now hands over our fireplace.

Early in the morning, I made my way to Alexander Palace for an "adult" breakfast with my parents and siblings. Papa, Mama, Tatiana, Dmitri, Vladimir, Anastasia, and I chatted over breakfast about politics and old stories. That's when the butler came in with a letter.

"Your Majesty, you have a letter from His Majesty King George V." The butler leaned over and whispered to Papa. Papa furrowed his eyebrows and took the letter from the butler. We all sat in anticipation as he opened the letter. It was odd to get a random letter from cousin George. Our parents did not write to cousin George and Mary much anymore. It was a quite random letter.

"Papa, what is it?" I asked him. Papa cleared his throat and read aloud.

"Tsar Nicholas II and Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna,

Congratulations! You have been invited by Their Majesties King George V and Queen Mary to their new castle in Biarritz, France. The castle has been newly constructed as a secret surprise for HM The King from HM The Queen. From the 1st of June to the 30th of August, you are welcome to stay. The children, siblings, and grandchildren of the current monarchs have been invited as well. We hope to see you all soon.

God Save The King,
Ambassador Sir Esmond Ovey"

"My Goodness! How fun is that? That shall be so fun!" Anastasia exclaimed. "Papa, will we go?"

Mama shook her head. "No, we are not. Cheryl and Vladimir would not be able to come along with us. We will go to Livadia for the Summer per usual."

"Now, Sunny. I am sure I can telephone George and speak to him about making an exception. We can persuade him to include Vladimir and Paul. I'm sorry, Nasty. But I do not think I can persuade him to allow Cheryl to come."

Vladimir shook his head. "No, do not worry about it. Paul and I will stay here. That way, I can care for Cheryl over the Summer."

"If Vladimir does not go, then I shall not go. It is only right." Anastasia insisted. We all suddenly started yelling and arguing over each other. Igor would not last on holiday in France due to his condition. And it would be wrong to leave Russia for months on end. We would all become homesick.

"Enough!" Papa shouted and the room fell silent. "I will speak to George and see what I can do. If you excuse me, I would like to get the phone call out of the way. Wait for me in the sitting room, please."

The rest of the family waited in the Maple Room until Papa would return. We did everything to keep ourselves distracted. Reading, knitting, and bickering with each other. Everyone was waiting in anticipation for what was going to happen next. If cousin George said it was alright, then it was a plan. The Romanovs would spend the Summer in France. After nearly an hour, Papa finally came into the room.

"Well, Lovey? What happened?" Mama asked.

Anastasia stood. "Yes. What did he say?"

Papa stood straight and cleared his throat. He scanned the room and looked each of us in the eye for a moment. A small smile then appeared on his face.

"Vladimir has permission to come with us Biarritz. However, Cheryl and Paul were both denied."

"Why Paul?" Tatiana crossed her arms.

"According to George, there would be too much tension with Vladimir and Paul both there. Vladimir was the only person he was making an exception for."

Vladimir scoffed. "I guess they are still not happy about Maria marrying me and not Louis Mountbatten. I'm not leaving my son. I will remain in Russia while you're in France."

I intervened. "Vladimir, I disagree. You are a father raising Paul on your own. You spend all your time with him. And you shall be with him every day for the rest of his life. But even you need sometime to yourself. Take this Summer to relax. Why don't you have Paul stay with Grand Duke Paul Alexandrovich for the Summer? He can spend time with his paternal cousins. Come to France, Vladimir."

Vladimir looked down at his feet for a moment. He was going to feel guilty for leaving, I knew it. Paul was his entire life and he knew that. Vladimir looked up at Papa and nodded at him. Papa smiled widely and clasped his hands together.

"Very well, then. We are going to France."