Two Worlds Collide

Olga

I couldn't believe it when I first heard it. Mama's eldest sister, Aunt Victoria, decided she was going to come visit Russia. She had not seen Mama in the longest time and apparently was wishing to have a vacation away from home. Uncle Louis was joining us too. My first cousins were also coming: George and Dickie Mountbatten. Dickie's real name was Louis, but we just called him Dickie instead. George's wife, Nadeja, was coming with their two younger children: Tati and David.

"Why do they have to come here now? It's too early in the morning for this." Alexei complained. He sat on my bed as I finished putting on my jewelry. Everyone else had finished getting ready and was running around the palace.
"Now-now, Alyosha. We haven't seen Aunt Victoria is such a long time. It will be fun."
"I know. Last time we saw them was...1910?"
"That is correct."
"I don't remember too much from that trip. I remember meeting Edward and Albert...and Johnnie." Alexei sighed. Johnnie was King George V's youngest son who tragically died from an epileptic seizure back in January. He was only thirteen when he died. Johnnie and Alexei got along well since they were only one-year apart. Hearing about Johnnie's death had been sad for us, he was the sweetest boy.

There was a knock on the door. Mama entered the room and walked over to Alexei.
"Baby, are you ready to see your cousins?"
Alexei nodded. "I just wish they were coming this afternoon instead."
"Ah, I know it's a bit early and we haven't had breakfast yet. But we have a nice English breakfast set up in the dining room and they are very excited to see how you've grown."
"I know, I know. Let's just move downstairs already."

All of us moved into the main hallway and waited for their arrival. It was going to be a full house here at the Alexander Palace. Something we haven't had in a long while. Suddenly, the footmen opened the door...our beautiful English family walked in. Aunt Victoria still had rosy cheeks and light-gray eyes. Uncle Louis had his beard, but more gray then last time we saw him. George and Nadeja walked in with their nanny who was carrying the children behind them. Lastly, Dickie walked in. Incredibly handsome now and more grown from last time we saw him. His eyes were a deep blue with wavy brown-hair still.

"Alix!" Aunt Victoria exclaimed. Mama and her both giggled and hugged each other tightly. For majority of the time, we were probably going to have to speak in English.
"Vicky, I hope your travels weren't too horrible."
"Of course not. Obviously you remember Georgie and Dickie. But you have not yet met Georgie's wife, Nadeja."
Nadeja curtsied. "It is a pleasure to meet you, your imperial majesties. Thank you for having me." Nadeja said softly.
"Absolutely, you are family now." Mama smiled. I looked over at cousin Dickie who had his eyes locked on Maria. He was smiling at her with a flirtatious look in his eyes. Vladimir was staring at Dickie with an angry look on his face. Papa walked over to Dickie's side.

"It's good to see you, dear boy." Papa smiled. They shook hands with each other.
"It's great to see you too, your majesty."
"Well, you have obviously met all of my children. But they are Princesses Nina and Xenia Georgievna. Then those three young men are Prince Igor Konstantinovich, Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich, and Prince Vladimir Paley."
Dickie chuckled and walked over to Vladimir with a cheeky look in his eyes.
"I've heard about you. You're the revolutionary royal."
"I am not a revolutionary, your serene highness." Vladimir said in a stern tone.
"Oh, you don't need to refer to me as that. Just call me Dickie Mountbatten. Tell me, why is your last name Paley?"
"I'm from a morganatic marriage. Instead of Romanov, I am a Paley."
"Ah, I see. Nadeja is also from a morganatic marriage so you both can connect on that. Now, let's see my lovely cousins." Dickie grinned. He walked over to us and took each one of our hands. But he was still glancing over at Maria.

"Hello Olga." Dickie said.
"Hello Dickie."
Dickie moved his way over to Tatiana. "Hello Tatiana."
He moved over to Anastasia next. "Anastasia."
"Nice to see you again, cousin Dickie." Anastasia nodded at him. At last, he finally made it to Maria. He took Maria's hand and slowly brought it to his lips.
"Cousin Maria. You are much more beautiful in person than in your photograph."
Maria grinned. "Thank you, cousin Dickie. I'm very happy you've come to visit Russia. It's nice to see you again."
"It's nice to see you again well." Maria nodded.

Later that night, just the OTMA was alone in Tatiana and I's sitting room. It was nice to finally have a moment alone together. The day had been very busy.
"Let's play a game called: 'Will Dickie Mountbatten propose to Maria while they are visiting here?" Anastasia laughed. Tatiana and I giggled along with Anastasia's joke while Maria just rolled her eyes.
"Nastya, it's nothing like that. Besides, Dickie and I are first cousins."
I quickly shot back. "It's not against the Anglicism religion to marry first cousins. You might be Maria Mountbatten."
"No, I do not feel that way about him. I never have and never will."
Anastasia just smirked. "We'll see about that. Soon enough, two Romanov sisters will be engaged."
"Oh Nastya, stop teasing Mashka." Tatiana chuckled. I didn't know why. But the look on Maria's face seemed to have made her anxious and even sickened.