Chapter 17: Cold breeze

Doc: Can't sleep?

Doc said from behind, you nodded at him. You hadn't gotten much sleep lately, and your body was urging you to go find this guy right away. To be honest, it has been a complete inconvenience to you; it has woken you up every time; it will be annoying to go back to sleep only to be woken up again moments later.

Doc: I understand, have some coffee.

(y/n): thanks.

Doc gave you a freshly brewed one. 

This can kick me for the day.

You took a sip for it and continue to watch the view from the balcony with Doc. The cool breeze whistling in your ears adds to the comfort you are experiencing right now. Even if it's obscured by this dense red fog, you can tell it's getting close to morning since the sun's point has begun to appear over the horizon.

Doc: This guy… I don't want that guy to hurt you.

Doc said breaking up the silence.

(y/n): I can handle myself you know.

Doc: this guy is different…

You turned to face Doc who is constantly sipping his coffee. You smiled, Doc really grew his fondness towards you, like he already take full responsibility to keep you safe. You like that.

(y/n): why do you wanted me to call you Dad by the way?

He choked in his coffee, accidentally sipping hot fluid in his mouth.

Doc: w-well…uh…*sigh*

Doc sighed placing the coffee he was holding on the table beside you two.

Doc: you know how fucked up our world right? And it has been… like this for like a long time now… 

*Sigh*…

Doc: It's just… having a family in this fucked up world… isn't likely to happen… so y-you know it's better to hear someone… c-calling me that… while I'm still alive. Especially i'm the one who gives order in this group.

Doc murmured shyly, his words stuttering. Doc looked down at his coffee, which had begun to cool. It was a bit comforting for Doc but for you it's a bit bothersome. Because their world shouldn't be changed into an apocalyptic catastrophe without those sick people who only wants power.

fucking bastards…

(y/n): I hope I can help with that.

You saw Doc chuckled

Doc: you kinda reminds me of the last guy we recruit before you, he acts exactly like you. He had become a member in our family… he even called me a dad… and I… *chuckle*…gladly accepted that…but ended up to be a traitor. Later on we found out that he is one of Auditor's goddamn henchmen…

Doc said continue to sip his coffee. You recalled the day Doc told you that, you didn't really care to it until this day. It left you in awe.

I mean i'm not a traitor myself…

(y/n): you all don't see me as a threat like that guy right?

Doc choked on his coffee once more, and his outburst of ideas prompted you to ask such a question. Maybe you should stop doing that, you can kill Doc by that.

Doc: What? No?! It just reminded me, since this guy is on the loose right now. Probabbly doing some illicit things, If there are still laws in this world…

Doc sarcastically said continuing to finish up his coffee. 

Sanford: Uh… Hey Doc… got a minute?.