Chapter 23: Fooled

Days have gone by since Deimos died and the base had begun quietly since then. Everyone is devastated in their own way. You noticed that the entire base had become dull... different from how it appeared previously, It was lively...before...

It was new to everyone that someone in the group died rather than Hank. Doc had already known where or what methods he need to bring Hank back to life but Dei... it's a whole new work.

You woke up on a cold morning, you've been sobbing till then, your conscience constantly blaming you that it's your fault why Deimos is dead. You blamed yourself that you should have been with him and maybe... just maybe you can save him.

Fuck (y/n)... what have you done...

You wiped up your tears and began the day, folding the sheets you have in your bed then exited your room right after. The whole place was quiet. Usually, on weekends like this Sanford and Dei are already at the living room either playing or laughing to one another. But now... it's just plain silence covering the whole base. There aren't been missions proposed since then. Doc had been overworking himself trying to figure out if it's possible to bring Deimos back since he was just only created artificially. Hank on the latter also been studying his new capabilities on his new form.

And Sanford...

it just aches your heart more whenever he had breakdowns. He constantly drinks a lot right now, getting home busted with a massive hangover right after. You can't help him, you will also break down if you lost someone that the only source of you to keep striving on living.

You made your way up to the kitchen and started making your favorite breakfast food. Everyone is probably in their room, so you munched your food...by yourself... in the kitchen...alone

*sniff*

____________________

*sighs*

You finished cleaning the food that you ate earlier still no one showed up in the living room. You huffed, you decided to kill some time to look at the view on the porch. It also eases up your heavy thoughts so you went to it right away.

The fogginess on the empty streets is still visible outside while the rattle of the winds continues to whisper. You are nearly at the exit of the door passing one by one of the rooms until you saw a figurine in the corner of your eyes to the room that was supposedly none was occupying.

You glanced at Deimos's room, the door was half open but you can see the person inside who was sitting at Deimos' bed.

Your heart was pierced once more as you looked at Sanford, who was sniffing while holding one of Deimos' things. You bit your lower lip, attempting to keep any tears from escaping your eyes. Seeing Sanford still depressed and lost in his thoughts is enough to make you feel guilty.

(y/n): San?

You received no response just him still sniffing on the corner of Deimos' room. You can't help but to sit and stay beside him.

Sanford: I shouldn't allow him to take Hank. He should have been here...

Sanford said gripping the sheets of Deimos's sheets. The amount of anger he stored for Auditor is visible, he caused all of this.

Sanford: If I could just hit him in the head, I'll push it through his bones just to feel the pain Deimos suffered.

Sanford continued to ramble all of his threatening acts to Auditor. But you just stood there with this sad look. Sure, all of you are angry to Auditor but Sanford has been the most affected since he lost someone he knew for a long time. His sobbing is contagious making you also cry in pity.