little shit.

I followed Dr. Buck and the junior researcher down to the archives where all the outdated files are stored. I walked in and found the two of them next to one of the file cabinets. She was teaching him the correct order which the files should be placed.

"Need any help with the intern?" I asked.

"Oh I'm fine." Said Dr. Buck, signaling to me that she was, Infact, not fine.

She hated this job just like everyone else.

Everyone had to do votes on whoever would deal with the next rosy-cheeked little shit. And we had be EXTRA careful not to let them get anywhere NEAR the weapons vault. Our head researcher, James Smith, built a railgun and the last intern got a little too curious and fired it, smashing a hole through several walls and out of the site completely. It caused 7 deaths and a breach of secrecy when the rail went shooting out a few miles away.

"And what's your name?" I asked the new intern.

"Gustav. Im really excited to work here. I never actually thought I would be transferred to 19! My friends are totally jealous" said the new intern, extending his arm to be shook.

"Covid-19" I reminded him.

"Oh right." He said, lowering his arm.
"Well I look forward to working with you" I said to him.

"Same here" said Gustav.

"Dr. Wheeler, I appreciate your attempt to assist, but it is not required." Said Dr. Buck.

"Okay" I said.

I then walked out.

(No one's pov)

After Mark walked out of the room, Dr. Buck resumed the long and boring lecture about paper.

Gustav turned to the door, and then back to her.

"Hey, is something up with Mark? He seems to be in a bad mood." Said Gustav.

"Most people these days are in a bad mood. Myself included." Said Dr. Buck.

"I mean, more bad of a mood than that." Said Gustav.

She sighed.

"I suppose you should know about his backstory before you start working with Him and the others." She said.

"He wouldn't tell anyone himself. He would get emotional. When he was 23, his apartment was bombed by the chaos insurgency. He was one of the few survivors. It is where he got that scar on his chin from. He described seeing melted, half dead corpses of victims screaming for help."
She explained.

She cleared her throat, her frozen heart had melted slightly. Her emotionless face had turned to one of sympathy. But only for a brief moment.

"But enough of his personal affairs. The next location will be the D class zone." Said Dr. Buck as she adjusted her labcoat.

"Hmm". Gustav uttered.