• one •

First days always sucked

First days always sucked. I was never a fan of them, but I knew there wasn't much I could do about this one. While it had been my dream to work at a radio station, I never thought I would work at one on this scale. There were people bustling around constantly. It was always busy and I had no idea how this many people went in to creating a station. Then again, I figured there were multiple types of people who had to go into this as well. There needed to be producers, and DJs, personalities, and more. I was just thankful that I had managed to get a position here since I was studying journalism. It made me look better at my school, and to be apart of a station that had a tremendous audience was something that I was certain my professors would be excited to hear about next semester.

"Good morning, Miss Holmes," a woman greeted me as I walked in. "Are you excited for today?"

"I'm a little nervous," I explained. "This station is so big compared to other ones."

"Oh, I know!" she laughed. "It's funny that you say that. The uppers have been in talks about creating a bigger building due to the high success rate our somewhat little station has gotten. I pin it on the general public being so interested in our radio personalities, one in particular might I add."

There were a couple of popular hosts. For example, there was Dylan Beck who hosted a show around ten, which was in an hour from now. There was Michael Button who spoke in the afternoons and did celebrity segments. Jack Huntington had the evening show, and finally, there was the most popular host that they played clips of his segments throughout the day—Harry Styles. He was young. Younger than the average host working here. I was pretty certain all the other men were in about their early to late forties, but Harry had turned twenty-five within the past couple of months last time I checked.

"So, we actually just have you getting to know a couple people here today. I know this is a summer job for you, well with you being in college and all, but if things go well I am certain we can make this more permanent."

Nodding, the woman pointed me in the direction of Mr. Watson's office. He was the one who had interviewed me and I figured I would have to speak to him about what I was doing for the day. Making my way down the hall, I paused when I noticed the On Air sign was lit up. It was clear the show was live right now, my eyes focusing on the person on the other side of the glass. He had dark, curly hair, the man talking into the microphone as he held a piece of paper in his hands. He was speaking in such an animated way, but I couldn't hear what he was saying. Yet, I found myself being unable to look away. Or so I thought until he quickly looked up, his eyes locking with mine. I became nervous then, the deep green color both incredibly beautiful and incredibly intimidating all at once. Raising my eyebrows slightly, I quickly turned away, fully making my way down the hall and to Mr. Watson's office.

"Good morning, Miss Holmes!" he greeted loudly, pointing at the seat in front of his desk for me as I shut the door behind me. "How are you? Are you excited to be part of Dawn FM?"