• twenty-two •

It had been a while since I had been to the gynecologist for a check-up

It had been a while since I had been to the gynecologist for a check-up. Of course, I didn't think I necessarily needed one since I was perfectly healthy, but I decided that it was probably best to go just in case. The wait wasn't horrible, and I felt like I looked incredibly overdressed as I sat in the waiting room filling out sheets of paper. Then again, I was sure most of these people didn't have to rush to work. Most of them looked like housewives, which, I didn't think anything was wrong with. I could just tell I was the only one who was probably going to work after I was finished here.

By the time they called my name, it was after ten. I was a little bit anxious that this was taking so long, but Mr. Watson had explained to me that I could take however long I needed in order to make sure I was in good health. It was always so incredibly polite of him, and I couldn't get over how lovely he was to be so understanding.

"Magdalina Holmes, right?" the woman walking me back asked.

"That's me."

"Perfect. Just go ahead and step on the scale for me."

She got my weight and height, my eyes widening when I realized I was five foot three. I was shorter than I had expected, or even thought. Of course, I figured that maybe I had tried my hardest to be taller when I was younger and that was why I had the incorrect height. However, the idea that I was shorter than anticipated, even by only an inch, was really throwing me.

"Just a few quick questions," the woman said to me as we began walking to a room. "To start, what's your birthday?"

"April sixteenth, of sixty-six," I told her. "I thought I put that on the sheet."

"You did," she nodded. "I just have to double check it."

I nodded. We walked into the room, the nurse telling me I could sit on the chair. Sitting down, I watched as she glanced over the paperwork, seeming to think over a few things before she continued.

"You said you're not sexually active, is that correct?"

"I, um ... haven't had sex if that's what that means. I don't remember what they said about it the last time."

"Oh, honey, it means more than that," the nurse smiled, my face heating up. "I'm going to write that you aren't, so the doctor is sure to be gentle."

It eased some of my nerves. After all, the last thing I wanted was what happened last time where the doctor had been rather aggressive and I had to say it was not comfortable in the slightest. The nurse asked a few more questions before she left me to change into the silly little gown. I absolutely hated how exposed I felt, especially since it was absolutely freezing in the room.

A while later, the doctor came in. She smiled at me, but I hated it when I watched her put on the gloves. This was incredibly intrusive, and while sometimes I didn't mind certain people being all in my business, this type of stranger was not the one I wanted anywhere near me.