• two •

It was quarter after ten when there was a knock at the door

It was quarter after ten when there was a knock at the door. I had taken a good amount of notes in the short time I had listened to Mr. Styles' segment, leaving me to get up and get the door. Pulling it open, I assumed that it was going to be the receptionist that showed me around, though, to my astonishment it wasn't her at all. Instead, those same enthralling green eyes met mine, his curly hair being pushed out of his eyes. He had on a leather jacket, the item not something I had seen him wearing earlier though it did suit him.

"I hear you're in need of a tour, Magdalina," he started.

I had just spent about half an hour listening to him speak, and yet something about him talking to me felt entirely different. For at least a year, I had been listening to him on and off again. There were times with my classes that I couldn't exactly tune into his segment, but he had a nice voice, and his topics were always interesting, to say the least.

"I do need a tour, but you can call me Maggie," I told him. "I figured it would be someone else showing me around, though. Why are you giving the tour, Mr. Styles?"

He very clearly checked me out. Mr. Styles glanced me up and down not once, but twice. I began to overthink, wanting to glance over myself and make sure I looked okay. What if I had something on my shirt? Or my skirt? Or I had flyaways? The thoughts were endless, pooling in my mind at a rate I didn't know possible until now.

"Let's start off by you never calling me that again," he began, his voice low. "I would much rather you call me Harry. Mr. Styles makes me sound old, and I'm not that."

"Okay, yes," I agreed. "I'm sorry, Harry."

"No worries. As for why it isn't someone else, I've heard you're a temp placement and I'm interested in being sure you have a long term home here at the station."

It was a surprise, to say the least. Why would he be interested in helping me stay with Dawn FM longer? I knew the station was constantly growing, moving, changing, but I didn't know why their most popular radio personality was already invested in me. Of course, I thought it was flattering. How couldn't I be charmed when the man speaking was not only attractive, but clearly concerned with the possibility of me staying here not even a full two hours into my first day?

"Um, what would make you want to do that?" I asked.

"I studied Journalism myself," he explained. "Is that your major, or am I incorrect?"

"No, you're right," I assured him. "I have one more year to go."

He nodded. "Well, if I work it out just right, you'll have a job when your time here is supposed to be finished. I heard your interview went well, and actually, you exceeded expectations. It shouldn't be difficult keeping you here."

Again, I was shocked. The idea that I had been mentioned in a conversation to someone that was widely talked about was splendid, but also quite intimidating. I wondered what else had been said. Though, if what Harry had said was true, I figured there wasn't anything that I needed to truly worry about. After all, it wasn't like they had been speaking about me in a bad way, rather, praising the way I had interviewed. Which, again, was something I was glad to hear considering I had been so nervous that it had gone poorly.