• forty-seven •

a/n: i forgot to say a few chapters ago, i am going to link my spotify. i make playlists with every song that Harry puts on the cassette tapes for Maggie. you can listen to the cassettes yourself then. also, there is a Satellite reference in this chapter, can you find it?

     Harry had been at work the following day,  and there had been absolutely no mention of why he was out the previous day when he came to drop off a stack of mail to me

Harry had been at work the following day, and there had been absolutely no mention of why he was out the previous day when he came to drop off a stack of mail to me. I knew it wasn't his job to do in the slightest–usually Grenadine would stop by or one of the younger employees would as well. Then again, I wondered if he had done it to try and get me to spark a conversation with him—which would definitely not happen. I was still irritated with him, even if he had attempted to start my morning off with flowers in my office, they had just ended up in the trash and I hoped that he saw them sitting there as he walked out of the room.

I wondered if he had been the one calling me yesterday when I got home, but of course I hadn't answered him when he called—if it was him anyway. I didn't want to speak to him. I still didn't. He must have gotten the point too, because he didn't try to really speak to me when he had visited me in my office, simply telling me that it was my mail before he left. The same thing happened on Wednesday as well. It was the first of the month, and I knew the big packet of mail in his hands had to deal with the grant that Mr. Watson had told me about. And, thankfully all Harry had to say to me was that he had my mail before he shuffled out of the room, passing yet another bouquet of flowers that I had thrown in the trash.

Later that evening, I found myself walking up to my house about twenty minutes after five in the evening. I expected for it to be no different than any other day, but I saw flowers lying on the porch, my eyebrows pulling in. Glancing around the area, I found myself looking for anyone that could have been lingering around my house. However, the road was almost completely empty, or if it wasn't, it was people walking their dogs who I definitely didn't think had anything to do with the flowers on my porch. Taking a deep breath, I crouched down, picking up the bouquet. They were really pretty, and I found myself glancing at the card, seeing that they were, of course, from Harry.

I hope you're having a good day. I'm still so sorry. Please call me.

Kindest wishes,

Harry

Rolling my eyes, I unlocked my front door. It didn't take me long to get inside, leaving me to drop my keys in the clay bowl the way that I normally did. Locking the door behind me, I went into the kitchen, dropping the flowers onto the counter. Of course, I probably should have given him the benefit of the doubt. He was trying here. He had been with the flowers for three days. He was going out of his way for me. However, it didn't excuse his behavior in the slightest bit. I didn't like that he thought he could win me over with flowers. I was so distraught by his behavior that the idea he had gotten me flowers didn't even bring tears to my eyes the way that it usually did. Instead, I found myself tossing them in the trash like the others, wanting to feel guilty but being unable to do so.