• three •

By the time I got home from the station, it was about five-thirty

     By the time I got home from the station, it was about five-thirty.  Most of my stuff was still in boxes since I had just moved in on Friday.  It had all been a pretty quick turn around.  I had interviewed for the job last Monday, found out I got the job Tuesday, and the station was willing to pay for my housing under a couple of rules.  To start, I needed to find the housing in the budget they gave me, and secondly, I had to pay for electric and water.  It was very nice of them, to say the least though.  Of course, it wasn't perfect.  There were a few things wrong like one of the cupboards in the kitchen that nearly fell off the hinges anytime I opened it. Similarly, the door to the hall bathroom was insanely squeaky. I also knew that one of the lights in the hall bathroom was busted but I had not gotten around to changing it.

It took a while to decide what I wanted for dinner. I knew that I could have made a salad, but I also wasn't that interested in salad, either. Glancing in my pantry, I decided on pasta, knowing it was a dish I could throw together quickly. Turning on my radio, I listened to the music that played, trying to think of ideas for my newsletter project as the pasta boiled and the sauce cooked. My goal was to have at least a basic outline of what I wanted to put together by tomorrow, especially since I knew Mr. Watson would probably want to know my ideas.

After a while, my dinner was ready, and I sat at the kitchen table, continuing to scribble down any possible thoughts I had. It was difficult to write and eat, but I somehow managed to do my best. However, a few minutes after I had finished eating, my phone rang. Getting up from the table, I walked into the kitchen, answering quickly.

"Maggie!" I heard the person on the other line greet. "I got your voicemail. I am so happy to hear that you moved back to Winter Haven, how have you been? How's college?"

"Donna!" I immediately started. "I've been well. I'm working here for the summer on a temporary placement at Dawn FM. I'll graduate in about a year from college, so it's going well. How are you? How are your kids?"

While I hadn't seen Donna in at least two years, I had called her at least once a week. We made sure to not lose touch, and she was probably one of my closest friends. Of course, I had a few other friends that I hadn't lost touch with as well, but Donna was the one who I really was excited to chat with and finally see.

"Okay, okay, okay," she laughed. "So Jules just turned three and Johnny is two. They're both doing well. Jules already speaks full sentences and Johnny can say some things but he's actually pretty good at expressing what he wants! He's doing this new things now where he really wants to help in the kitchen. His daddy isn't a fan of that but I think it's adorable."

"That sounds adorable. I am so happy that I can probably see you soon. Actually, speaking of which, when do you think we should get together? We can invite Debbie and Jackie."

"That's so true! Oh, I bet they'd want to bring their kids also. You tell me what days work for you and I'll put a little something together, how's that sound? I mean, if you aren't busy, I would be happy to have you come meet the kids right now! Or, at least meet Johnny for the first time since I know you've met Jules."