• twenty-four •

He had gotten me donuts in the morning

He had gotten me donuts in the morning. However, he had woken me up to say a very quick goodbye. It was so quick that I had almost thought I dreamt it. I guess one of his friends needed an emergency babysitter, so he had to go and take care of the kid. It was incredibly kind of him, but I hadn't seen the donuts until later when I actually woke up for the day. Of course, I thought that would be it, but he had even left a little note right along with them.

Good morning doll,

Here are some donuts for a very pretty girl. Have the best day, I'm sorry I had to dip out so early.

Kindest wishes,

Harry

It really was so kind of him. I found myself smiling at the note, opening the box to see he had gotten twelve vanilla frosted donuts with sprinkles. While I recalled him mentioning it to me before bed, I didn't actually think he was going to get them for me actually. And, on top of it, the fact that he even recalled the kind of donuts that I liked without really asking was also crazy to me. I figured it was an insignificant thing to recall, yet he always did it without any problems.

Sitting on the sofa with one of the donuts, I found myself eating it before I picked up my book to finish reading. It took about an hour, and finally I could put the novel on the complete shelf in my office. Taking it to my library, I worked on placing it on the bookshelf. It was followed by the phone ringing as I was on my way to take a shower. Running to the kitchen, I quickly picked the phone up off the receiver, pressing the device to my ear to hear Donna on the other side.

"Good afternoon, honey!" she greeted. "You're coming over for lunch with the kids and I. Billy had to take his parents to the Orlando airport."

"Oh, yeah, that sounds good. I have a lot to tell you anyway."

"Juicy details only!" she said into the phone excitedly. "It better be about your gorgeous man."

"If by my man, you mean my friend from work, sure."

It made her laugh. I found myself telling her I would be over as soon as I got ready for the day. She told me I didn't have to if I didn't want to, but I soon reminded her that I would be walking to her house and needed to get ready for the day. She said she would see me in an hour, and I quickly made my way to the bathroom to get a shower once I hung up. I was excited to see Donna, especially since it would be the two of us chatting together.

• • •

By the time I made it over to Donna's it was a little after two. I knew that it worked out perfectly, knowing that she normally laid the kid's down for a nap around this time unless they were busy like the previous weekend. Knocking on her front door, it wasn't long until it was pulled open, Donna grinning at me. She pulled me in for a hug, welcoming me inside her home.