• forty-one • *

a/n: his fit is kinda cuuuute for the chapter / good luck bffs !! also just a reminder to check out the trailer i posted <3 and you can follow me on twt @nikeystyles to get updates and sneak peeks of the chapters (:

Donna drove me home.  She was singing along to the radio in the car, and I was amused by how energetic she was at nearly ten in the evening.  Time always got away from us, and I loved spending time with my friends.  Even if I thought it was only going to be Donna and I this evening, the surprise of Debbie and Jackie at dinner was super nice. 

Once Donna pulled up to my house, I found myself grinning at her, my friend shaking her head.  She was amused by me, I could tell, and I watched as she lowered the radio.  After a few measly moments of us just sitting there, Donna started to speak.

"Well, I had fun!"

"I did, too," I nodded, smiling at her:

"Harry seems very good to you," she told me.  "I'm happy for you, Maggie."

"Thank you, yeah, he can be pretty nice."

"I bet he's going to fall so in love with you," she giggled.  "Oh, and we'll have to plan a wedding! And then you'll get to have it in a church like you always wanted.  And then you can have kids, and Jules and Johnny can play with them!"

It was making me laugh.  The thought that after just one evening of talking about Harry to her and already she was jumping to these far-fetched conclusions was really amusing to me.  After all, once I finished college, I still would need to figure out my career before I even remotely thought about a future with anyone—even if it was Harry.

"We'll see about all of that," I laughed.  "Also, it's kind of late, and I have work in the morning.  Thank you so much for a fun evening and for shopping with me."

"Absolutely! You know I love hanging out with you," Donna grinned.  "But have a goodnight! And have fun tomorrow with Harry."

"Thank you," I nodded.

She smiled, waving to me as I got out of the car with my pocketbook and my bags from the store.  Soon enough, I was heading up to the house, unlocking my door, and heading inside.  Waving to Donna, I shut the door, then quickly locked it.  Placing my keys in the clay bowl, I set my bag down on the little table before I went to my room to set my shopping bags down.  It didn't take long for me to change into a big T-shirt, and while I was rather tired I found myself walking out to the kitchen and dialing a number that had become all too familiar to me.

At first, it rang.  I knew it was late—he was probably sleeping at home in his big comfy bed.  So, I felt like I was interrupting and I quickly hung up.  But then, I thought about how I just wanted to talk to him.  I wanted to hear that sweet rasp, the soft, biting voice that would answer.  He always had a way with words, and even if I had seen him briefly today, it had been a quick little stop because he had plans with his friends today.  Sighing, I found myself calling his number again, my face flushed as his number dialed before I could tell the line was going through.  And, after about the fifth ring he picked up.