[ 03 ]

Dinner with the Malfoys was an experience Aine never had before, something she couldn't help but compare with the other times she had a meal with her family, friends or even with the Weasley family. It was the first time Aine ate alongside Draco along with his family and she was growing conscious of the different demeanour she was facing. 

The dining hall was extravagant with serpent candelabras with candles lit across the white table cloth, flickering elegantly and softly. The bouquet of blue roses that Aine had brought was now sitting in the centre of the table, adding a little colour to the monotonous manor. The cutleries and dishes were all glistening in the dimmed lighting and their drinking goblets were sparkling and well polished. Even the food was amazing and delicious, although Aine could not quite see what she was eating because of the darkened lighting, it was still cooked perfectly without a flaw.

Aine's eyes drifted up as she moved her fork and knife to cut the meat on her plate, the silence was deafening and whenever her silverware blade screeches across her dish, Lucius Malfoy would click his tongue softly yet loud enough for everyone to hear. She was flustered by the quietness and it only made her tremble as she eat. Draco looks over at her, watching her eat gracefully and slowly, careful not to swallow too loudly or stuff her mouth with big portions of food. He was thankful that she was being considerate, following their mannerism especially when she was the guest. To ease her discomfort, Draco mimics her eating pace and spoke to break the awkward tension. 

"So, how is your family doing, Aine?" Draco asks and Aine looks at him with raised brows, grateful that someone finally said something in this dull dinner. 

"They are doing all right. My dad has been busy with his customers and orders, brewing tonics and healing concoctions along with some new creations. While Aion is taking a short break from his gigs since everything has been a little unsettling in the Wizarding World now that Vold— I mean— the Dark Lord has risen," Aine replies and immediately, the three Malfoys stiffen up, Lucius gulps his wine down while Narcissa pales at her comment and Draco simply took a shallow breath. Aine looks around them, resting her cutleries as she quickly spoke again, "Oh. Did I say something wrong?" 

Draco shook his head and smiled at her as Narcissa clears her throat, "Not at all, dear! We were just perplexed. It is difficult times after all..." 

"It is... I supposed," Aine replies, slowly regretting what she had said. She cursed inside her mind and cringed, continuing with her meal. She exchanged looks with Draco and he mouths at her.

"It's okay. Don't worry about it," he reassures and she smiles. 

"Thanks," she mutters back and he winks.

The four of them continued their dinner without another word until their plates were all cleaned and goblets empty. Lucius Malfoy took the honour of leaving the table first, openly expressing his disdain for staying any longer. Aine watches as the head of the Malfoy family ascended the stairs of the darkened manor before he was gone. Narcissa puffs her cheeks at her husband, she gave Draco an apologetic look before she disappears into the kitchen to prepare some tea. Aine follows her, hoping to help in some way. 

"I'm sorry for earlier, my dear. I hope you are not offended by Lucius's actions," Narcissa told her with a sad smile lacquered onto her face. 

Aine shook her head, knowing Draco's father's character well enough to deem his attitude around her normal. She could understand why he disliked her, especially partly because it may be due to her friends. "I'm alright, Mrs Malfoy," she replies and the older woman smiled at her. 

Narcissa sighed clasping her hands, "Go keep Draco company, I got this," she winks to the girl who grew pink. 

"Oh, no! I should help you! There are so many dishes to do too!" Aine replies.