[ 46 ]

Harry's angry and pained screams were the most heartbreaking thing the people in the room had heard. Remus grabbed Harry around the chest, pulling him back as the boy breaks apart, crying at the loss of his godfather. "No... N...O—" He struggled under the hold of Remus, wanting to run towards the veiled archway where Sirius had passed through, desperately trying to reach out into the magical blanket to bring his godfather back.

It must be a dream, the boy tried to fool himself into thinking. It must all be a bad dream, there was no way Sirius was gone just like that. He did not believe it— He refused to believe it. He waited, clutching tightly onto Remus— Waited for his godfather to come back from the other side of the archway. But there was no movement and the veil remained in a peaceful ripple like how it was before. Sirius did not come back, and Harry refused to accept the fact that he was really gone now. The only man that was closest to family. His only godfather. The boy only got more violent, fighting to break free from Remus's hold with every strength he has left.

Remus's heart shattered, his face contorted to one of guilt and bitter sadness, equally devastated that he wasn't able to save his friend. He begged Harry to resist and quench his anger, attempting to calm the boy down as he bit down on his lips to keep his tears in. He only embraced the boy tighter, comforting both the younger boy and himself as they share the loss of a dear friend. He could only stare at the spot where Sirius was earlier, replaying the playful smirk he saw his friend give him as he battles with the Deatheaters. "Harry... Please..." Remus whispered to him softly, his voice cracking as Harry cry his heart out. He was barely holding onto himself, let alone the boy.

The strangled sobs of Harry broke everyone's heart, he lets out another wrenching scream, hot tears streaming down his dirty face as he crumbled down. Even Bellatrix who had stood behind the wall had felt a flicker of sympathy for the boy, the last bit of humanity in her feeling pity for him. She shook her head in disdain, unable to stomach the sight, she slides away with a taunting snicker at Harry who spotted her trying to get away with what she had done.

Fuelled by an uncontrollable rage, Harry picks up his remaining strength to force himself out of Remus's firm grasp on him. He pushes the man aside, glaring at the witch as his breathing became even more uneven. Lost in the fury of grief, he went after Bellatrix Lestrange who had let out a high-pitched giggle, delighted from her triumphs of ridding her cousin for good and leaving Remus gazing at the back of his diminishing back. He yelled the boy's name, but Harry had already left to pursue the killer. He softened away, defeated by the death of Sirius that he didn't know what to do anymore. He wasn't going to get over the fact that he was never going to see his prankster friend ever again. It all had happened so quickly.

Remus closes his eyes and ran his fingers through his messy locks, exhaling deeply as he staggered back, turning to Elliot and Aine who were still standing near the veil. Their jaws still hanging, staring at the fluttering veil in utter shock. 

Shamed with remorse that was now planted deeply into their hearts, the father-daughter duo could only gape into the translucent blanket. They barely moved from where they were ever since Sirius died, still dismayed and shaken. 

Elliot was the first to look away from the archway, the whispers and murmurs breaking him from his daze as his lips quivered. His eyes were glossy but he puts on a strong front, concealing his sorrows. He peered over to his daughter who stared at her trembling hands, disbelief plastered all over her worn-out face.

They were too late...

Aine could still feel the warm touch from Sirius's fingertips as it slipped through her hands like sand. She remembered gripping tightly onto his arm only to find him still falling into the veil which seemed to have sucked him away. It all flashed past her mind again, all in slow-motion, it was like her mind was mocking her for being too late to save him too. She recalled the proud grin that he had shot to her and Harry after they managed to disarm and stun Lucius Malfoy. She could still hear him calling her the usual nickname with the wink he always gave.