[ 15 ]

Aine stretched her fingers, feeling the nerves on her hand being pulled as she clenches her fist. Thanks to the ointment that Snape had crafted especially for her, the scarring of the remains from her detention was fading away but the words remained faintly. Word has gotten out even to her father about the brutal detention even though Aine had remained fairly quiet about it. There was without doubt that the person who had treated her wounds had tattled on her behalf. 

"Do you ever stop eating?" Aine heard Hermione ask and she looks to the ginger-head boy who stuffed his mouth with another sausage from his breakfast platter. He munches grumpily.

Ron looks up from reading his little book titled 'How To Soar On Your O.W.Ls' as if being disturbed from his train of thoughts. He gave her a puzzled look, "What? I'm hungry!" he rebutted before choking on his words. Hermione quickly handed over his goblet of water before he downs the drink, sighing with relief afterwards.

Just then, there was a low chirp and Aine turned to her soaring friend that approached her in a distance, a letter in her beak. "Thank you, Hestia," Aine said, tickling her owl's beak and stroking her beautiful dark grey feathers. She took the letter, flipping to see her family's insignia embedded in the wax seal before handing Hestia a treat as she waited beside Ginny. 

"Is it from your family?" Hermione asks, taking turns with Ginny to caress the bird's feathers. Hestia cooed and fluttered her wings proudly before eyeing Ron who gulps at her.

"Yeah, it's from Dad... Don't eat my owl, Ron. I'm warning you," Aine replies, giving her friend the side-eye, she knew he was always hungry for breakfast and it was something she shared too. 

Ron's mouth hung open, offended, "I don't eat owls!" He continued to stuff his belly with the scrumptious breakfast, not before shooting another glare at Aine. She was picking up on his older twin brothers teasing these days. Which to him, was a lot better compared to her sulking in silence after her detention session with Umbridge. Godric knows what's on her mind whenever she's quiet, Ron thought to himself.

Aine chuckles as she peels open the envelope, her eyes softening at her father's letter as she read it in her mind, imagining Elliot's voice in her head. It has been a while since she saw her family, let alone hear from them.

'Dearest Aine,

My sweet daughter, I hope you are doing well at Hogwarts. We are all doing well at home and Aion has recently gotten another performance outside of London and he wishes that you could see him perform. Now that you're no longer home, your brother has been talking all about you every single time. We have both been doing some bonding time to get back the years we lost, just like you have asked us to. We're making progress and he seems to have opened up a little more than before but things are still fairly awkward between us. The home feels different when you're in Hogwarts... Aion misses you dearly and so do I. 

We have heard from Severus about the wounds that you have gotten and it pains me that I couldn't protect you from it. Severus has also informed Dumbledore of your new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor's methods in teaching and henceforth, he has relayed this to me and the Order. 

We are all very worried about you and your friends, and we have been doing our best to search for evidence that could be brought to light so that your new professor could be reinstated. But it has been truly hard since the ministry is connected to this and our moves are limited. The others wouldn't want me to inform you this but things at the Order do not seem too good too. However, we will keep trying and I'll try to update you as much as I am allowed to.

I pray that your injuries will heal quickly and that you wouldn't be in too much pain. Do remember to apply the medication that Severus has made for you and please relay my good wishes to your friends too. I hope to see you soon, sweetheart.