[ 16 ]

As if the days at Hogwarts weren't dreadful enough, Umbridge had continued to reign over the wizarding school. Catching unruly behaviours from students, correcting their attire in front of others, forbidding the use of music during study hours and the use of flying on brooms except for those who have Quidditch. She had even banned the use of items that were not of educational value along with the joke products that the Weasley twins had created. 

Ever since Aine's previous lesson with Professor McGonagall and the compliment that the Transfiguration professor had given her after witnessing the girl's successful attempt at transforming her owl into a useful tool. Aine's pet, Hestia had altered into a beautiful silver dagger. She was also given house points for her brilliant transfiguration but her happiness ended quickly when a new rule was announced the following day.

The use of pets and owls during Transfiguration classes was completely revoked. Students were now ordered to confine their pets in their respective common rooms and owls in the owlery during classes. And that they were only allowed to be out during weekends and on days where they had mail or parcels to be delivered. It left many utterly in disbelief, unable to believe that such an absurd rule was created.

Aine and Hestia, were, of course, the many who were unhappy with the new regulations. Yet, no matter how much they had pleaded for it to be annulled, even with the help of their professors. Umbridge's resolution had not changed and students were forced to accept the new law as much as they had hated it. 

Any students who had refused to accept the passed-on decrees would be given immediate detention and worse cased scenario, they would be rewarded with a warning letter which may lead to their expulsion.

It was a surprise that Aine haven't been expelled after the countless detentions she was forced to serve, mostly alongside Harry. It seemed that every time Aine was called to Umbridge's office, Harry Potter was there with her and all because the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, now titled High Inquisitor had heard students talking about the lies that they had spewed. That 'Lord Voldemort was back and alive', and that 'Lord Voldemort was the one who had murdered Cedric Diggory in cold blood'. 

Needless to say, Aine and her friends all knew that their words weren't exactly false or lie. It was true, the Dark Lord was reborn and both Aine and Harry know it because they had seen it. However, regardless of how many times the two had begged to differ their claims, Umbridge had turned away, refusing to trust the words of a mere fourteen and fifteen-year-old children. They had no proof and could only rely on their words. It was until they had both decided that the more they had pursued their statement, it was all futile since no one would take them seriously. 

Aine had resulted in keeping a low profile, even when others spoke behind her backs, called her names and taunted her. She took them all and hold them in, placing a lock over the box and burying it deep within herself. She was used to all of that now that the names she had received didn't hurt her anymore. She knew she was telling the truth and that was more than enough.

Her friends had also grown worried for her and Harry, especially since they were both hurt mentally and physically by Umbridge's ruling authority. Aine was grateful that they were there for her, even going as far as mocking them back which her Weasley friends were best at. Draco too was equally as concerned. Every time he saw the girl, her hands would be reddened and full of scars from the Black Quill. Yet, every single time he tries to reason with her to tell the Headmaster and file a complaint, Aine had shaken her head, rejecting the offer. She would always reassure him that she was truly fine.

Draco was sceptical of her, there was no way she was fine and he could only wonder what she was thinking. Even the medication that their Potions Professor had made for her was finished since Aine had shared it with her fellow friends who got detention. It was at times like this that Draco wished that she could think for herself more before worrying about others. She was so thoughtful and selfless and that was both a gift and a misfortune. It only made his respect for Aine increase and his feelings for her grow even more.