[ 12 ]

In the subsequent days, after the small argument between the Gryffindors. Aine has never gone through a day without people muttering behind her back, shouting foul words to her across corridors when they see her, or even straight-up being trashed in the face by students after they heard the rumours. Everyone had assumed that whatever was written in the Daily Prophet was the truth and had gone on turning their backs on her and Harry. Especially the Hufflepuffs, who now had the impression that it was due to the two Gryffindors, that their precious friend had been killed. 

The impression of Aine has definitely plummeted with just a couple of articles written and she was feeling even more upset when her friends got dragged into it. However, she still held her chin high, for she was not the person who had murdered Cedric Diggory. She had learnt to let go of the fact that she couldn't save him and that the person who had sinned was someone else: Peter Pettigrew and Lord Voldemort. There was just nothing she could have done and the situation was just unfortunate and tragic. Hermione had even reminded her that Cedric wouldn't have wanted Aine to suffer from clinging onto that past guilt. This was why she chose to ignore those accusations and insults, she had done nothing wrong and she knew that above anyone else, she knew she was innocent.

Nonetheless, there were a handful of her friends who had wholeheartedly supported her in the midst of this conflict. The Weasleys, Hermione, Harry and even Draco, who had surprised her the most since he was usually quick to be throwing shade at others before, Harry in particular. Yet, there was another problem that seemingly needed more attention to tend to and that was the class Aine was having currently.

With a toad-like appearance, the lady stood at the front of the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. Her hair, as usual, was perfectly moussed and curled and the students all grimaced at the overpowering scent of the hair styling foam. Professor Umbridge had worn a full set of pink again today, she wore a dark pink dress with a knitted light pink cardigan over it. With a high-pitched giggle, she started the class. "Good morning, children," she greeted with a sugary voice and everyone immediately cringed.

"Good morning, Professor Umbridge," the class greeted back, forcing the words out of their trembling lips. What another year of crappy Defense Against the Dark Arts indeed.

The professor simpers, her eyes curling into crescents and it made her look creepily menacing. She glanced at every student who stared back at her, wondering how she would conduct the class. Would she be self-obsessed like Gilderoy Lockhart? Or will she be like Remus Lupin who incorporates 'fun' into his classes? Or will it be like Alastor Moody who believed that they should be taught practically how to defend dark arts and learn about the uses of dark arts? The class was quiet, contemplating it in their heads. 

They watched as Umbridge faces the board, and with her rather short wand, she swirled in the air and the words: Ordinary, Wizarding, Levels, formed in cursive. 

Approaching the board, the professor's heels clicked on the wooden floorboards. "O-W-Ls. Or commonly known as OWLs!" she titters and students shifted uncomfortably in their seats at her pitch. She turns back to them and smiles again, "You will be taking your OWLs next year, which is why you are to be prepared from— Now."

"Study hard and you will be rewarded," she tells them. "Fail to do so— And the consequences may be severe." Her eyes widened with a glint of warning behind them. A couple of students smirk at one another while Aine simply gave a blank look to the professor who looked in her direction. With another wave of the wand, the thick stacks of books displayed on the table in front began to levitate, floating to each lane and passing out a copy to a student.

When it was Aine's turn to get her copy, the book falls onto the table with a thump and she blinks at the title, 'DARK ART DEFENSE, Basics for Beginners' was written on the cover along with an illustration of a witch and wizard holding the exact same book. At first glance, it had looked like a children's book and after Aine had opened it and flipped through the pages, it was safe to assume that it literally was a children's book. Her eyes scan through the text and an inaudible scoff escaped her lips. We're going to study the topic with this book? she thought to herself. There wasn't anything written about defensive spells nor practical information regarding it.