[ 17 ]

Thunder roared upon Hogwarts later that night, booming loudly with all its rage that students had hurried back to their common rooms to snuggle in. The raindrops pattering down onto the stained window panes, as if any harsher would cause the glass to crack and shatter. The wind howled along like a crying banshee, so loud that it rivals the singing of the Fat Lady guarding the Gryffindor's common room. 

Aine and her friends gathered around the fireplace, silence filling the air as they were all drowned in their thoughts. Each mind was occupied with problems that they were facing. Hermione paces in front of the crackling fire, huffing as she crosses her arms, overwrought with the events earlier that day. "That foul... Evil, old gargoyle!" she lambasted as she stomps around.  Aine could see an imaginary smoke chuffing out of her head as the brunette's face went red like the colour of the Gryffindor's tapestries. "We're NOT learning how to defend ourselves! We're NOT learning how to pass our OWLs— She's taking over the entire school!" she stated, enraged. 

"I wouldn't be surprised if Umbridge becomes the Headmaster next. Did you see the look she gave Dumbledore earlier? The audacity of her!" Ron scoffs, rolling his eyes as he slams his body back onto the velvet sofa, letting the plushness sink him in. He sulks.

"Don't jinx it, Ronald... I don't even want to think about what more she could do for this school," Aine replies. Professor Umbridge was already given the title of High Inquisitor and she now had the authority to expel students and fire any staff she deems unfitted for the role. Within a month, Hogwarts was dominated by Umbridge and the number of Educational Decrees she has passed onto the school was almost forty by now. Each was either unnecessary useless or as Fred and George described, ridiculously stupid, which was what Aine had thought as well.

Sure, there was a handful that made sense to her but for the majority of the decrees. It was as if the Ministry had published them to reign fear over the school. 

"I can't believe this!" Hermione ranted, treading even more heavily and quicker.

"We know that... Settle down, Hermione. You're making me dizzy going back and forth..." Harry mumbles, his neck arching backwards as he pinches his nose bridge, letting out a long exhale. 

Hermione halted her steps before she made her way to the couch, plopping down to a seat next to Ron who was staring ahead, lost in the dancing flames. Aine simply strokes Hermione's cat, Crookshanks who was chilling next to Aine on the carpet, purring with pleasure with its eyes closed.

The radio behind the group suddenly interrupted the silence with a buzzing static. Aine bobbed towards the Wireless, furrowing at the noise. She cranks her head a little to diffuse it out of her hearing as Harry turns to tune it so that the news would be heard more easily and clearly. "Security has been and will remain the Ministry's top priority. Furthermore! We have convincing evidence that these disappearances are the work of the... Notorious mass murderer— SIRIUS BLACK!" the person in the programme insinuated.

 "Harry!" A voice called from behind with urgency, gaining the attention of the four students. They exchanged looks before crowding around the fireplace. Hermione and Aine whip their heads to the stairway, making sure they were alone and that their conversation was unheard. Then they joined the boys around the fire. 

"Sirius!" Harry greeted with a slight beaming smile. He was happy to see his godfather's face after so long. "What are you doing here?"

Sirius grins and nodded to Ron, Hermione and Aine, noting their presence. "Hey there Hermione, Ron." He turns to Aine and winks, "How are you doing, doll?" he asks and Aine simply groans and he snickers, knowing what they had gone through even without any words being said. His face had appeared in the fire instead of the coal this time round and was harder to catch a glimpse of if one isn't paying attention. "Answering your letter. You said you were worried about Umbridge. What's she doing? Training you to kill half-breeds?" he asks, a hint of mockery to their Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. He let out a short chuckle briefly.