[ 37 ]

Since the day the news of the mass breakout from Azkaban, the members of Dumbledore's Army had been training harder than ever, recapping spells that they have learnt before the holidays. The atmosphere became heavier in the Room of Requirement, there was lesser joking around even from the Weasley twins. Everyone felt that it was only fitting to learn how to defend themselves more than ever now that dangers lurk closer and a war was brewing in the storm. The members of Dumbledore's Army were all dedicated and motivated to learn more defensive spells so that they could not only protect themselves but also the ones they loved.

Aine bids her friends goodbye after they had finished today's training. One by one, students began to scatter out of the Room of Requirement. It had been a day of hard work and they were all satisfied with their efforts. While others were busy grabbing their bags to leave, a boy stood alone in front of the mirror board. It was Neville Longbottom.

His hands clasped together as he gazed up at the photographs pasted on it with a daunted expression on his face. Aine met Harry's eyes on her before they moved towards Neville, standing behind the boy as they follow his attention to the faded moving picture. It was a photo of the members of the Order of the Phoenix that once belonged to Sirius before he had given it to his godson. It was only recently after the holidays that Harry had decided to put it up next to a couple of mementoes, serving as a reminder to all of them of what they were fighting for. 

"Nev?" Aine calls out carefully, worry in her voice as she looks at her quiet friend. 

It took the boy a great deal of courage before he spoke. "Fourteen years ago... a Death Eater named... Bellatrix Lestrange used a Cruciatus Curse on my parents," Neville reveals to them, staring at the moving picture of his parents. They were standing in between Hagrid and Alastor Moody, smiling so brightly at the camera. With a closer look, Harry and Aine could see the resemblance between Neville's parents in him. The girl trailed to the bottom of the picture where she learnt of their names:

Frank Longbottom & Alice Longbottom.

"She tortured them for information but they never gave in," Neville muttered and Harry pursed his lips, saddened by the news. Now he understood why his friend was so traumatized last year when Fake-Moody demonstrated the Cruciatus curse on the spider. There was a flicker in Neville's eyes before he continued, "I'm quite proud to be their son!" 

Aine could see how much admiration the boy held for his parents and it made her smile a little. "They were very brave," she remarked, turning to meet Neville. "Just like you."

Harry nodded in agreement, placing a tight pat on Neville's shoulder as the boy's lips curled at the compliment. He always heard people calling him a coward and for being a weakling because he always showed faint signs of magic within him, unlike his honourable parents. It made him feel sorry for his family, knowing that he wasn't as outstanding as them all but above all, he felt sorry for himself. Which led him to begin to close himself off, losing his confidence and deeming himself as someone who had poor magical abilities. But hearing someone telling him that he was brave, was rare but he was still nonetheless, thankful. He could feel his heart gaining a little bit of strength from his friends.

"Thanks, Aine."

The girl nodded her head before she looks Neville's hand that had opened, it was a small piece of a candy wrapper. He told them about the little gift in his grasp that was from his mother. He unveiled the story of how his parents had lost their minds after being tortured by a group of Deatheaters led by Bellatrix Lestrange, and that they were never the same from that day on. However, every time Neville visited his parents with his grandmother, his mother would give him a little candy wrapper. As much as his grandmother disliked the idea of him keeping it in his pocket since it was probably dirty, Neville couldn't bear to throw it away.