[ 21 ]

"Expelliarmus!" 

A series of incantations echoed throughout the Room of Requirement, students taking their turns in casting the disarming charm against the metallic dummy, or as Aine had nicknamed 'D.D', also known as 'Dummy Deatheater'. She stood by Harry, Ron and Hermione's side, watching as the members of the D.A cast the Expelliarmus charm. Proud smiles mirrored on each other's faces as they clapped for those who had successfully disarmed the dummy. 

"You guys are doing great!" Hermione cheers, boosting their confidence before it was Neville's turn. The boy shyly stepped forward, adverting a timid gaze to the intimidating D.D as he points his wand towards it. His attention drifted behind the dummy to the four instructors, Harry nodding to him while Aine pumps her fists in the air, giving him an encouraging smile.

Neville eyes back to the fake Death Eater dummy, "Expelliarmus!" he exclaims, his words slurring. However, instead of disarming the opponent's wand, Neville's wand jumped out of his own hands and flung itself backwards. The rest of his friends' heads ducked as the wand flew past. The last student who was Nigel had shrieked, dodging his head in the nick of time before the boy's wand stabbed into the mirror, creating a tiny blue spark. At the same time, it marks a crack on the glass as it drops to the ground with a thud. 

There was a wave of awkward silence before Neville sighed. He looks down dejectedly, feeling dispirited quickly. "I'm hopeless..." he glumly stated. It has always been that way, how his spells don't go the way he wants and how fast his emotions change from excitement to being discouraged, like a snap of a finger. That was how easy it was to switch. Perhaps, he was meant to be weak. 

Perhaps, it was meant to be like this...

Aine blinks away from Neville, casting a sad look at the boy's thoughts. She walks towards him and hands him back his wand. Standing next to him, she gives him a nod and a heartened gaze, "You're just flourishing your wand too much, Nev. Here, take it slow and steady," she tells him, correcting his hold on his wand. "There is no need to be afraid of your failure. When you fail, try again, and again. You'll get there!" she motivates. 

Mimicking his stance, Aine saw Neville focusing ahead. "Be confident of your own magic. Try it like this," Aine added, holding her wand out as she concentrates on Harry in front of her. He bobbed his head, giving her the sign to disarm him. With a swift and smooth wave of her hand, she shot the spell directly, "Expelliarmus!" Harry's wand snatched out of his hand like there was an imaginary wind, swooping it off his grasp and into hers. He smirks at her and she hears the students behind her cooing in amazement. 

"Wow..." Neville lets out a gasp, greatly astonished and inclined by the girl's confidence. There wasn't even a single waver in her pupils and her focus on her target was precise. "That's amazing, Aine!" he complimented and she giggles, turning to him.

"Now you try!" she said to Neville, sensing his determination. He was even pumped now after watching Aine's attack. He gulped and took a deep breath, readjusting his body. With one hand raised upwards with his wand, he relaxes his tense muscles before staring at the Death Eater ahead. 

Relax... Relax... Relax... There's no need to be afraid... The boy said in his head, over and over until it had stuck in his mind.

When he was ready, he tries again. He could feel the lightness in his hand movement as his wand naturally glides in the air. "Expelliarmus..!" he said confidently but he couldn't help but shake a little, his wand trembling before a spark shot out of it. There was a delay from the spell and the wand in the dummy's metal hand lifted slightly before dropping it to the ground instead of flying out of its hold.

His smile fell and he exhales with a pout. "Still not as good as you, Aine..."

Harry stepped towards them and he places a reassuring hand on Neville. "But you did well, Neville! That's an improvement! You should be proud of yourself!"