[ 09 ]

The subsequent days flew by quickly when Aine began her Legilimency training with her brother, Aion. Since they were living in Twelve Grimmauld Place temporarily until Aine heads back to Hogwarts, she had plenty of time to learn about the Art of Legilimency and Occlumency and was able to practise with the people there, especially the Order of the Phoenix members. However, the secret she was committed to keeping had ended up being exposed much to her disdain when Snape had let loose to her father about her condition.

Of course, Aine had a string of curses that she had wanted to blast out with but she held them in anyways, not wanting to further agitate the situation. Elliot couldn't hide his disappointment when he found out about his daughter's ability, yet he could understand her on certain levels. She too didn't want to worry him which was why she kept quiet in order to protect her father. That, he was grateful but it still didn't ease the flickering anxiety within him. 

To think the seal was already starting to chip away... He didn't think it would be this quick.

Aine's Legilimens power had soon reached the ears of her closest friends, although not all of them knew the full story of how she came to realize that she had such a skill. Though they were itching to press on Aine further, they decided it would be best to not bring it up until she was ready to tell them herself. It was something that Aine was thankful for, the consideration her friends had thought about and their compassion. She was nervous that they would all feel betrayed by her keeping it a secret but even that thought was quickly brushed away when the boys started beaming with joy, and the girls celebrated momentarily for Aine to have possessed such a high proficiency skill. 

The younger teens had also learnt of Harry's hearing at the Ministry, which had ended on a successful note when the Hogwarts Headmaster, Professor Dumbledore had interjected the trial to plead for Harry's innocence. No one had known why the Dementors were even after Harry, nor did they know why it had attacked a Muggle. And above all, no one had figured out why the Dementors had even left their post guarding the Wizarding World's prison, Azkaban. Either way, it was good news to all of them, knowing for a fact that their friend would continue studying with them at Hogwarts and not be expelled.

All that's left is to make sure that this new year at Hogwarts would be a smooth-sailing journey, unlike the previous years. As well as...

"Concentrate, Aine!" 

"What do you think I'm doing?" she growls, clenching her fists together as her eyes bore ahead at her brother's. It was another day at the headquarters training with Aion. For days, Aine would attempt to control her attempts in reading her brother's mind as well as the other candidates who were lining up to experience the power of Legilimency. For days, she has been failing to control her powers which resulted in her taking over the mind of her opponent. 

"I can still feel your consciousness trying to dig deeper into my skull. Are you sure you're trying? You look like you're just staring at me and not doing anything else," Aion questions, his attitude has been relentless to Aine ever since they started practising. Even Lupin who was another of her mentor in teaching her was much more gentle compared to Aion in the lessons. 

Aine squeezes her eyes shut, shaking away another thought she had stolen a peek from her brother. Damn it... Her forehead was graced with tiny droplets rolling down from her temples and her brows knitted together as she tries again. She took a deep breath and composes herself again. It was as if ever since she realized she was a Legilimens, seeing people's thoughts came much easier and clearer whenever she has eye contact with them. It allowed her to see what they were thinking alongside delving deeper into their thoughts. It was horrible and she hated the skill even more. 

It was as if she was intruding on their profound thoughts, seeing their secrets and their darkest fears that they had locked up in the depths of their hearts and minds. Needless to say, she was in fact invading them. That's why she had to control it so she could choose what to hear and see.