[ 36 ]

It seemed that the holidays went by like a flash, students were back at Hogwarts feeling a little apathetic since most of them had enjoyed the winter break. So much so that going back to school made them crave more holidays. Aine drags her feet to the Great Hall, she could hear complaints and groans as she walks past students. Everyone was pretty dispirited ever since they had to come back to school, especially to one where a certain professor has an obsession with educational decrees and the colour pink.

"Dear Godric, please help me get through this new term," Ginny said loudly, clasping her hands together as she pray. Her brothers chuckle at her before Fred continued on, mirroring his little sister's actions.

"Dear Merlin, please help our little sister get through this new term and for Aine to get through it as well without trying to murder Umbitch!" he added, nonchalantly, showing zero signs of any shame of rudely calling out on their Defense Against the Dark Arts professor.

Aine rolls her eyes. She follows her friends, seeing as one by one they started wishing for a peaceful term. "Well then. Dear every single god out there who is willing to hear this, please make sure that all my friends' wishes come true and if you don't mind me adding to the list of never-ending prayers— I hope we get at least one day without hearing Umbridge cringey giggles!"

The Gryffindors burst out laughing at her snarky prayer, nodding their heads as they all understood and wished the same as Aine. Just earlier they had just heard one of Umbridge's infamous high-pitched titters when she welcomed the students back to school along with a load of reminders to inform everyone about the existing rules of 'her' school. "It's honestly not that hard to fulfil it right? I mean, just one day! Just a single day!" she stresses. All it takes for someone who is bold enough to risk not getting potentially expelled to cast a charm to seal up Umbridge's mouth away. Though it would probably mean a whole lot of detentions if they didn't get kicked out of this school before breathing another air of this castle. 

"I pray that Aine's wishes come true," came a voice from behind and when Aine turns to the person. The corner of her lips curled upwards when she saw Draco. "Hello, love," he greeted her, placing a little pat on her head.

"Hello, Mr Malfoy," Aine replies, smirking at him. 

Ginny pretended to gag at the two of them and Fred whistled them a tease while George simply clears his throat, feeling awkward just by looking at them. "If you guys are gonna get lovey-dovey in front of us, I beseech the world to just end right here and right now," the red-headed girl told her best friend, sarcasm in her voice.

Aine gave a warning glare, "Please, Gin. It's nothing compared to how cheesy you and Michael can be!" she retaliates back.

"Oof! I have to admit, she has a point, sis," Fred remarked, shrugging when his little sister turned to him with a scowl. 

"Oh, shut up."

"That's no way to talk to your older brother, Ginny," George backs his twin up and their sister scoffs at him.

"Alright. We won't do it in front of you then. Will you spare me a bit of your friend's time, Weasleys?" Draco asks politely, surprising the redheads at the table. It was the first time they heard him speak to them respectfully. Let alone a conversation that was for once, civil and not offensive. Even George was taken aback by the Malfoy boy's attitude but he didn't stop himself from narrowing at Draco, not wanting to let his guard down around the Slytherin student.

"Wow. The world really must be ending, I must be dreaming. Draco Malfoy is actually being well-mannered. What is happening?" Ginny stated with a gasp and Draco let out a light chuckle before he met Aine's eyes at him. She was smiling from ear-to-ear and it made him unknowingly smile along too. She was glad that he wasn't being discourteous for once when talking to her friends.