seven: when will we ever call another place home?

"Fragile, but broken into a shattered world

"Fragile, but broken into a shattered world."

🏹🏹🏹

THE QUIET VIBRATIONS of the van sounded like bees to Elaina. She missed their busy hums; it reminded her of the spring time, and the sun that came with it.

They had been travelling in the van now for what felt like an hour. Other than a few rumblings about directions, the car ride had been reasonably quiet. Elaina was fine though, her thoughts were keeping her company.

"I used to travel down this road at least once a month," Wayne said, deciding to break the silence. "It was nice. CDs on, windows down. Elaina, you came with me a few times."

"Yeah," Elaina smiled. "I'd always have to put the window up after a while though because the wind blew it in all directions."

"Should've done a photo shoot," Wayne chuckled. "The wind, of course, was a paid actor."

Sophia and Carol chuckled at this.

"Sophia and I lived further up state," Carol mentioned. "We've never been down on this road."

"It was nice to drive on," Wayne replied. "Not many turns, not much congestion."

"What were you doing in this part of Atlanta?" Elaina asked.

"We came down to visit Ed's family," Carol said, shifting uncomfortably in her seat.

Straight away, Elaina had regret asking. "I'm sorry, Carol. I didn't meant to ask that. It was none of my business."

"Don't apologise," Carol replied, shaking her head. "You weren't to know, sweetheart."

Elaina looked over at Sophia and Carol, who offered Elaina a smile, which she returned.

"We used to travel down here," Rick added. "There was a time when Shane and I caught someone speeding. Let's just say, they weren't happy with their ticket."

Elaina laughed. "Do the crime, serve the time."

"Does crime exist now?" Carl asked.

"I think so," Elaina replied. "The only difference now, is that whatever you do, it won't involve a legal punishment. I think people just have their own way of dealing with things now."'

"So, killing a person before they turn into a geek isn't a crime?" Carl asked.

Elaina looked at Carl with an odd impression on her face. "No, because that person is already gone."

"What if they aren't?" Carl asked.

"If they don't want to pass on, then that's not right," Elaina replied.

"How do you know so much?" Carl questioned. "Are you some type of geek guru?"

"What?" Elaina replied.